Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Martin Koci <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/25 18:52:35 UTC

[core] implicit object 'component' in rendered expression (myfaces and spec bug)

Hi,

<h:form>
	<h:panelGroup>
                <h:inputText id="testId"
		rendered="#{component.id eq 'testId'}"  				value="#{bean.value}" />
	</h:panelGroup>
</h:form>

please notice the expression:

rendered="#{component.id eq 'testId'}"

that is clearly true.

But that does not work as expected: inputText is rendered, but never
updates model value.

Problem 1.

from specification, methods UIComponent.process* and encode*
1) If the rendered property of this {@link UIComponent}
false, skip further processing
2) Call {@link #pushComponentToEL}

-> #{component} resolves in rendered="#{}" to parent!

Problem 2.

MyFaces implement that (pointless) requirement inconsistently: from
UIComponentBase.process*:

(!isRendered())
  return;
pushComponentToEL(context, this)

and from UIComponentBase.encodeBegin*
 pushComponentToEL(context, this);
 if (isRendered())

causes that example above renderes inputText, but never updates model.

Problem 3.

RendererUtils.renderChild(FacesContext, UIComponent):
in this method it is unappropriate to use following code:

if (!child.isRendered()) {
            return;
        }
child.encodeBegin(facesContext);

because:
1) it does not take into account pushComponentToEL ( #{component}
resolves to parent)
2) behaviour is incosistent with UIComponent.encodeBegin : you'll get
"random" rendering - depends if parent of component renders it's
children or not! For this case I've created MYFACES-3126, but I'll
reopen it now, because simple remove of 'if (!child.isRendered())' does
not solve that problem and causes another problem if component
getRendersChildren = false;

What do yout think about this problem?

Regards,

Kočičák

Re: [core] implicit object 'component' in rendered expression (myfaces and spec bug)

Posted by Martin Koci <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

more info about this problem:

1) I did some testing of mojarra and they do the same in encodeBegin as
myfaces:
pushComponentToEL
if (!isRendered())

despite of the specification.

2) Specification does not mention pushComponentToEL for encodeAll(),
only says "If this component returns true from isRendered(), take the
following action ... Render this component and all its children ...."

3) pushComponentToEL and double push:
component.pushComponentToEL(context, null);
component.pushComponentToEL(context, null);

Will be the same component pushed twice on stack?

Regards,

Kočičák

Posted by Martin Koci <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

can you review patch for this issue - MYFACES-3157 - please?

Regards,

Kočičák

Posted by Martin Koci <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,