Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by amogh Chitnis <ac...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/21 08:55:16 UTC

Problem starting felix after providing D-OSGi bundles auto start levels

Hello,

I am using the D-OSGi 1.1 multi bundle distribution along with felix
framework 2.0.4. I have changed the felix config.properties file (attached)
as mentioned here: http://cxf.apache.org/dosgi-multi-bundle-setup.html.

When i start felix, it prints out some log statements (attached) and
then gets stuck. The console stops responding and does not take anymore
commands. Surprisingly felix starts up fine when i just place all the d-osgi
bundles in the felix 'bundle' folder and do not provide any auto-start
levels for the bundles.

The instructions in the above link regarding the
org.osgi.framework.startlevel.beginning property seem to be a bit confusing
since it mentions to set the property value to 32 and then in the "At the
end the conf/config.properties file looks like this:" shows it as 81. I
tried using both the values and it did not work for both.

Just wondering if I was missing something while setting the configuration?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Amogh

Re: Problem starting felix after providing D-OSGi bundles auto start levels

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amogh,

Good point on the confusion between 32 and 81. I fixed that. It should be 81.

A hang like that is almost certainly caused by bundles not starting up
in the right order. At least that's the only time I've ever seen it
before. I know - in an ideal world there shouldn't be a dependency on
startup order, but unfortunately there are some bundles in the
dependency list that weren't developed with OSGi in mind and cause a
hang when not started up in the right order...

I just tried your scenario in a fresh new Felix 2.0.4 workspace with
DOSGi 1.1 and it worked fine. Could you try a new workspace? You can
specify an alternative workspace by providing the
org.osgi.framework.storage system property, e.g:
  java -Dorg.osgi.framework.storage=alt_space -jar bin\felix.jar

Let me know how you get on,

David