Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2000/09/26 15:47:59 UTC

Showing internal request URI's in default responses

Hi,

Currently in Tomcat 3.2, DefaultCMSetter.NotFoundHandler and StatusHandler only show the original request.  For "secure" responses this is appropriate, but during debugging, the request URI that gives rise the status code needs to be shown.  This is especially true for "Not Found" errors.

I plan to add this and am interested in opinions about how to control the display of this information.  I see updating ContextManager with one of  the following options:

1) Use current showStackTraces attribute to control this too.

2) Rename showStackTraces to something more global, such as showDebugInfo, and use it to control this and stack traces.

3) Add a separate attribute, such as showDebugInfo, to control this.

I'm +1/2 on 2 and 3.  Anyone with a preference, other option, or attribute name?

Cheers,
Larry

__________
Larry Isaacs
Larry.Isaacs@sas.com
SAS Institute Inc.

RE: Showing internal request URI's in default responses

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
What is the advised way to restart an application?
Does that reload all the classes used by the application?

Thanks,
Paulo

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.

Posted by Paul Speed <ps...@progeeks.com>.

cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> +1 on whatever you choose, please update server.dtd and add the attribute
> in the default server.xml ( with the default value ).
>
> I like showDebugInfo - or even debugInfo, or even "developMode" ( that
> will also control the default for reloading !).

	Just wanted to add $0.02 about reloading.  It is important
to note that reloading can be extremely important in a web hosting
environment where you don't want individual hostees(?) restarting
Tomcat.

	Also, even in our production site it's nice to be able to make
small updates without having to knock off all the users.

	I understand you only intend to control the default reloading
with the developMode setting... and that there is still another way
to set reloading.  I just wanted to point out that development is
not the only reason for reloading.

	-Paul

How to prevent auto reloading of changed JS page

Posted by Pankaj Malviya <pa...@internetdevices.com>.
Hi,

I have seen that a JSP page is automatically reloaded whenever it is
changed. I assume this has a cost in production server. I want to prevent
it. Till I restart my server the changed JSP should not be reloaded. I have
changed server.xml file to disable auto servlet loading in context but it
has affect only on servlet not on JSP. Any advice ?

Pankaj