Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Scott Moore <sm...@novacoxmail.com> on 2002/05/21 17:02:34 UTC

Adding Garamond font to FOP

I've tried adding the Garamond font to FOP, and everything works fine except
when I need a bold italic font.  I never did find a TTF file for Garamond
Bold Italic, just bold and italic separate.

Is there a way to get garamond in bold and italic?  MS-Word seems to be able
to do it without a problem, but FOP gives a warning that it can't find it.
Is there something special I need to do for this case?

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Adding Garamond font to FOP

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Scott Moore wrote:
> I've tried adding the Garamond font to FOP, and everything works fine except
> when I need a bold italic font.  I never did find a TTF file for Garamond
> Bold Italic, just bold and italic separate.
>
> Is there a way to get garamond in bold and italic?  MS-Word seems to be able
> to do it without a problem, but FOP gives a warning that it can't find it.
> Is there something special I need to do for this case?

MS Word, or better the underlying graphics system, is able
to manipulate the font, for example by slanting the bold
typeface. This is not a true bold-italic, but hardly
distinguishable from this by most people, especially on a
computer monitor. There are some hints, though, like unusual
spaces before punktuation.

Slanting bold fonts or boldface printing of italic fonts
is usually done at the character level rendering, i.e.
when viewing the PDF. I don't know whether the PDF format
allows to encode such statements, I'd guess no. Having
FOP do this would essentially result in a rendering, turning
all your character data into graphics, and with serious
deficiencies in the font metrics.

So the answer is: If you don't find a bold-italic font,
you're stuck. If you really need it, check the web for
a font manipulation program which allows you to create such
a font by slanting a bold font, but don't expect that it
get everything right. (And, if by any chance a trained
typographer sees your result, he will notice and likely
express distaste).

J.Pietschmann