Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Pontus Ullgren <ul...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/23 19:35:32 UTC

IDE for newer Camel versions using Camel Spring Boot

Hi,

I know about JBoss Tools Camel Tooling and been using it. It works great as
long as we stayed with the RedHat supported versions of Camel and JBoss
Fuse. But lately we have moved away from this and going with Camel Spring
Boot and more up to date versions of Camel.

The main reason for this is to get new features faster.

The problem now is that JBoss Tools does not handle this combination well.
But that is a JBoss specific issue so that is not what I want to discuss
here. There is other forums for this.

Instead my question: What do you use for developing your Camel based
applications ?
I quickly tested Spring Tool Suite which kind of give us most of what we
look for including good support for gradle. But hope to get some more
suggestions.

We mostly use the Spring XML DSL to define the routes but also some Java
DSL.
Code completion and some tooltips in XML editing mode is a requirement.
Graphical visualisation and editing of the routes is a bonus but I assume
that JBoss Tools is the only one that supports this.

Thanks for any insight you can share
Pontus

Re: IDE for newer Camel versions using Camel Spring Boot

Posted by Mark Nuttall <mk...@gmail.com>.
Fyi STS has property autocompletion with docs :).

I recommend Claus's video. I was going to mention it but figured he would.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM, James Green <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just installed the update but ctrl+alt+4 would not show any Camel items
> until I put the cursor between inside a from()...to() route. Putting the
> cursor inside a RouteBuilder was not sufficient, maybe an area for
> improvement...

Ah thanks. Yeah the code checks the cursor position and see if there
is any existing endpoint / eip and then uses that. If there is not
then it ought to show a list of all endpoints from the current file.
And if no file then fallback for the entire project.

Apparently there is still a bug somewhere. You are welcome to log a ticket at:
https://github.com/fabric8io/fabric8-forge

Posted by James Green <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by James Green <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by jclarysse <jc...@talend.com>.
Pontus, JBoss Tools is not the only product to support grafical visualisation
of Camel routes. You may take a look at Talend ESB, which also sticks to a
given supported version (Camel 2.16 in Talend 6.2) but allows exports as
Spring Boot Microservices:
https://www.talend.com/download/talend-open-studio#t3

Re: IDE for newer Camel versions using Camel Spring Boot

Posted by Mark Nuttall <mk...@gmail.com>.
Pontus, I only do Java DSL with Spring Boot, so I use STS (I could use
Intellij too if I had a license for it). It works very well for me (and my
use cases). The guy i use to work with started with XML but it was painful
because - XML. He has moved exclusively to Groovy. I am not sure what your
use case for XML is, but Groovy might solve it (since it can be run as a
program or as a script)

Mark

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 4:45 PM, souciance <souciance.eqdam.rashti@gmail.com

Posted by souciance <so...@gmail.com>.