Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Herman Chen <hc...@intumit.com> on 2002/09/09 03:12:31 UTC

Read-only mode index

Hi,

I recall having seen discussions on the need for accessing index in read-only mode.  Has there been a solution suggested or any contributions?  Thanks.

--
Herman

Re: Read-only mode index

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, that issue has been addressed and taken care of.
This is from CHANGES.txt:

 3. Added the ability to disable lock creation by using
disableLuceneLocks
    system property.  This is useful for read-only media, such as
CD-ROMs.
    (otis)

I remember somebody following up on this change and warning of a
downfall of this solution, and I remember thinking that the comment was
valid or semi-valid, but I can't remember who made the comment, nor
what exactly the comment was.
Maybe this solution needs to be fixed, but for now this should work.

Otis