Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Edward Quick <ed...@hotmail.com> on 2008/09/25 13:29:30 UTC

pages with duplicate content in search results

Hi,

Eventhough I ran nutch dedup on my index, I still have pages with different urls but the exactly the same content (see search result example below). From what I read up on dedup this shouldn't happen though as it deletes the url with the lowest score. Is there anything else I can try to get rid of these?

Thanks,
Ed.

Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro
... Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro Intranet - Technical Standards Online   Employee Self Service       ESS Home ... Description Document     Technology Category: Client Name of item: TeraTerm Pro Related policy: Unix Access Tool Vendor: Current Technical Status ... standard Telnet tool. Where printing or keymapping is an issue, TeraTerm ...
http://www.somedomain.com/im/tech/technica.nsf/8918e269a19be23f802563ef004e8e7a/441cdf92bbe06a9e80256c87003d81d9?OpenDocument (cached) (explain) (anchors)

Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro
... Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro Intranet - Technical Standards Online   Employee Self Service       ESS Home ... Description Document     Technology Category: Client Name of item: TeraTerm Pro Related policy: Unix Access Tool Vendor: Current Technical Status ... standard Telnet tool. Where printing or keymapping is an issue, TeraTerm ...
http://www.somedomain.com/im/tech/technica.nsf/dacff06c3e1dbc9780257273004e1e3b/441cdf92bbe06a9e80256c87003d81d9?OpenDocument (cached) (explain) (anchors)

Make a mini you and download it into Windows Live Messenger
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354029/direct/01/

RE: pages with duplicate content in search results

Posted by Edward Quick <ed...@hotmail.com>.

> > Dennis,
> >             I am facing same problem, in my crawl content of some urls are
> > same but urls are different. Could you please tell me how I can set
> > hitsPersite to 1 . ?
>
> I changed hitsPerSite to 0 in the search.jsp (to get rid of the 'show all hits' button). It might be possible to set this in the web.xml or nutch-site.xml though?
>

> > --Vishal
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > If you are using more than one index then dedup will not work across
> > > indexes.  A single index should dedup correctly unless the pages are not
> > > exact duplicates but near duplicates.  The dedup process works on url and
> > > byte hash.  If the content is even 1 byte different, it doesn't work.
>

> I only have one index, and have only crawled one domain site which is the Intranet at my work.
> The pages definitely seem to be identical. I saved the source from both pages and the sizes were exactly the same too.

Also, just to add to this I checked the index with Luke which shows the two urls below with the same titles but different timestamps, digests and boosts. :-(

> > > Near duplicate detection is another set of algorithms that haven't been
> > > implemented in Nutch yet.  On the query site you can set hte hitsPerSite to
> > > 1 and it should limit your search results.

> Get all your favourite content with the slick new MSN Toolbar - FREE

Win New York holidays with Kellogg’s & Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354033/direct/01/

RE: pages with duplicate content in search results

Posted by Edward Quick <ed...@hotmail.com>.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354027/direct/01/

Re: pages with duplicate content in search results

Posted by vishal vachhani <vi...@gmail.com>.
thank you very much!!!!!!

--
Thanks and Regards,
Vishal Vachhani

Re: pages with duplicate content in search results

Posted by Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>.
In search.jsp lines 116-119:

Posted by vishal vachhani <vi...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Edward Quick wrote:

>> Dennis Kubes wrote:
>>> If you are using more than one index then dedup will not work across
>> This is incorrect. DeleteDuplicates works just fine with multiple
>> indexes, assuming you process all indexes in the same run of
>> DeleteDuplicates, so that it has a global view of all input indexes.
>>
>>    A single index should dedup correctly unless the pages are not
>>> exact duplicates but near duplicates.  The dedup process works on url
>>> and byte hash.  If the content is even 1 byte different, it doesn't work.
>> This depends on the implementation of Signature. Indeed, the default
>> MD5HashSignature works this way.
>>
>>> Near duplicate detection is another set of algorithms that haven't been
>>> implemented in Nutch yet.
>> Well, the existing TextProfileSignature can be used as a form of (crude)
>> near-duplicate detection, precisely because it is tolerant to small
>> changes in the input text.
>
> Thanks Andrzej.
> How do you tell Nutch to use the TextProfileSignature instead of MD5HashSignature for deduplicating?

See the following property in your nutch-site.xml: db.signature.class.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

RE: pages with duplicate content in search results

Posted by Edward Quick <ed...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by David Jashi <da...@jashi.ge>.
Sorry for off-topic, but how do you make Nutch-0.9 search multiple indexes?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org> wrote:
> If you are using more than one index then dedup will not work across
> indexes.  A single index should dedup correctly unless the pages are not
> exact duplicates but near duplicates.  The dedup process works on url and
> byte hash.  If the content is even 1 byte different, it doesn't work.
>
> Near duplicate detection is another set of algorithms that haven't been
> implemented in Nutch yet.  On the query site you can set hte hitsPerSite to
> 1 and it should limit your search results.
>
> Dennis
>
> Edward Quick wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Eventhough I ran nutch dedup on my index, I still have pages with
>> different urls but the exactly the same content (see search result example
>> below). From what I read up on dedup this shouldn't happen though as it
>> deletes the url with the lowest score. Is there anything else I can try to
>> get rid of these?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed.
>>
>> Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro
>> ... Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro Intranet - Technical Standards
>> Online   Employee Self Service       ESS Home ... Description Document
>> Technology Category: Client Name of item: TeraTerm Pro Related policy: Unix
>> Access Tool Vendor: Current Technical Status ... standard Telnet tool. Where
>> printing or keymapping is an issue, TeraTerm ...
>>
>> http://www.somedomain.com/im/tech/technica.nsf/8918e269a19be23f802563ef004e8e7a/441cdf92bbe06a9e80256c87003d81d9?OpenDocument
>> (cached) (explain) (anchors)
>>

>> Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro
>> ... Item Document :- Client - TeraTerm Pro Intranet - Technical Standards
>> Online   Employee Self Service       ESS Home ... Description Document
>> Technology Category: Client Name of item: TeraTerm Pro Related policy: Unix
>> Access Tool Vendor: Current Technical Status ... standard Telnet tool. Where
>> printing or keymapping is an issue, TeraTerm ...
>>
>> http://www.somedomain.com/im/tech/technica.nsf/dacff06c3e1dbc9780257273004e1e3b/441cdf92bbe06a9e80256c87003d81d9?OpenDocument
>> (cached) (explain) (anchors)
>> Make a mini you and download it into Windows Live Messenger
>> http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354029/direct/01/

--
with best regards,
David Jashi

პატივისცემით,
დავით ჯაში
ვებ–განვითარების დირექტორი
"კავკასუს ონლაინი"
+995(32)970368
David@Jashi.ge

Re: pages with duplicate content in search results

Posted by Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>.