Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Albert Pang <Al...@zd.com> on 1998/01/16 00:08:50 UTC

Re: Apache holds just under 50% of the Internet Server Market!

Thanks for the message. I?ve updated the story on the fight between Apache
and Netscape in the Web server market with a new column at
http://www.zdnet.com/zdimag/content/netmedium/1998/01/
I hope you will find the piece useful and pertinent in addressing your
concerns. Any other questions, please let me know.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Albert Pang
Online editor
INTERNET COMPUTING
formerly ZD Internet Magazine
Name change press release:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdimag/zdx/aboutus/namechange.html
www.zdimag.com
e-mail: apang@zd.com
415-547-8143(phone)
415-547-8245(fax)

12:18:32 PM ----------

Please respond to Owner@YourOwnCompany.com

To:   Albert Pang
cc:
Subject:  Apache holds just under 50% of the Internet Server Market!

Albert Pang,

In your article:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdimag/content/anchors/199712/15/10.tech/8.html
You present Apache in poor light.  According to the article,
"For the time being, Netscape appears to have the upper hand, according
to analysts and users. Zona Research estimates that Netscape holds a 42
percent share in the Internet server market, while  Microsoft has 28
percent. In the intranet space, Netscape holds 35 percent compared with
Microsoft's 30 percent."
You do not even mention what percentage Apache holds (based on the ZONA
RESEARCH data), nor what the basis of the percentage is.  It is that
Netscape has 42% of the different types of servers available?  Is it
that Netscape has 42% based on revenue? Sold Licenses?  What?
Netcraft runs a survey of Internet hosts EVERY MONTH and they report
that Apache holds just under 49% of the over 1.6 million sites polled!
If you'd like to enhance your research, go to:
http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/9712/
for this month's results ... or for any slice back to the start,
http://www.netcraft.com/Survey/Reports/
If you are graphically oriented and want a summay version, go to:
http://www.netcraft.co.uk/Survey/
Happy Researching!!!