Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Michael Lok <fu...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/03 09:34:10 UTC

Async job submission via PigServer

Hi folks,

I was wondering if it's possible to submit register and run a script
using PigServer in MAPREDUCE mode in an asynchronous manner; compared
to how a script is executed right now whereby the program is made to
wait till the job is finished.  Although the task is still executed in
the server, I can't programmatically retrieve the job id for future
reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Async job submission via PigServer

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
There is no asynchronous API for Pig. However, Pig does have a
notification mechanism (See PigRunner.run), you can create a separate
thread to simulate the asynchronous call.

Daniel

Posted by Michael <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the pointers. Will look at oozie for the time being :)

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.