Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Padma Penumarthy <pp...@mapr.com> on 2017/08/01 02:14:41 UTC

Re: Drill performance tuning parquet

There is one more thing you need to consider, memory.  In general, adding more CPUs is better than adding nodes as long as you don't hit other bottlenecks.  Once that happens, you might consider adding nodes.

Thanks,

Padma

________________________________
Posted by Saurabh Mahapatra <sa...@gmail.com>.
This is my understanding on how I approach these problems.

It is important to have a mental model of the execution semantics of Drill.
At a fundamental level, it is a DAG of "map" and "reduce" tasks. DAG
ensures that the results are correct if it were to be executed on a single
thread with the right sequencing. Since this is a DAG all proceeding in an
upward direction of a final result, you want to keep the nodes at the
bottom as busy as possible which brings up the idea of batches. So the
question is whether you can parallelize more with the same coordination
strategy that ensures correctness of the result.

There are two groups of nodes that are competing for CPU resources:
(1) The nodes up the DAG that need to crunch through the data batches that
have come from below.
(2) The data ingest nodes at the bottom that want to be as busy as possible
but must obey the DAG dependencies.

If you give too few CPU resources, then these two groups start competing
with each other. In the case where you have one core, all the threads would
be execute round robin.

Those parallel units of execution (or opportunities) are called "minor
fragments". There are ways to give limits to the query planner as to how
many fragments should be created i.e. at a node level
(planner.width_max_per_node), at a cluster level
(planner.width_max_per_query), and at a data ingest level
(planner.slice_target). The query planner operates within these
constraints. Most users will tune the planner.width_max_per_node because it
has the notion of symmetry in execution.

https://drill.apache.org/docs/modifying-query-planning-options/

So if you increase the number of cores for the same query, you could get
more parallelism which would show you improvements at scale (data size).
Also, you reduce the competition with nodes up the DAG that also need to
execute. The memory consumption would not matter in this case.

The first step is to keep tune the memory so that you avoid out of memory
situations. You run your suite of tests. Once satisfied, you tune the
number of fragments to see if you get performance gain. Once you reached an
optimization, add more cores and see if you get more. (you need not if the
network traffic is too much). Conservative design is to take the worst case
query and optimize for that. I recommend doing it by frequency of the
occurrence of the query. The query that consumes the most resources could
well be the most infrequent. It is OK to be suboptimal for those.

Now, let us bring in a couple of concurrent queries-where things become
more complicated. You will have to budget for multiple queries. So you will
have to add memory and cores. But there is a caveat: increasing concurrency
does not necessarily improves performance because you could have CPU and
memory intensive queries (that would just run longer) that just slow the
system down. IN this situation, you are better off giving as much
CPU/memory resources as possible so that you can move on. This is where
queues help:

https://drill.apache.org/docs/enabling-query-queuing/

The queues are based on estimated row size which is a reflection of memory
required.

All in all, at the end of the day, you will be looking at two parameters:
1. Throughput as a function of input query load (time-based)
2. Performance arranged on a percentile basis with query response times
arranged in ascending order. What is the performance of the 90th percentile
queries.

Thanks,
Saurabh