Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Georg Fette <ge...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2018/07/31 08:39:22 UTC

Solr Server crashes when requesting a result with too large resultRows

We run the server version 7.3.1. on a machine with 32GB RAM in a mode
having -10g.

When requesting a query with

q={!boost
b=sv_int_catalog_count_document}string_catalog_aliases:(*2*)&fq=string_field_type:catalog_entry&rows=2147483647

the server takes all available memory up to 10GB and is then no longer
accessible with one processor at 100%.

When we reduce the rows parameter to 10000000 the query works. The query
returns only 581 results.

The documentation at https://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters
states that as the "rows" parameter a "ridiculously large value" may be
used, but this could pose a problem. The number we used was Int.max from
Java.

Greetings
Georg

Dipl.-Inf. Georg Fette      Raum: B001
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-85516
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: georg.fette@uni-wuerzburg.de

Re: Solr Server crashes when requesting a result with too large resultRows

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/31/2018 2:39 AM, Georg Fette wrote:
> We run the server version 7.3.1. on a machine with 32GB RAM in a mode
> having -10g.
>
> When requesting a query with
>
> q={!boost
> b=sv_int_catalog_count_document}string_catalog_aliases:(*2*)&fq=string_field_type:catalog_entry&rows=2147483647
>
> the server takes all available memory up to 10GB and is then no longer
> accessible with one processor at 100%.
>
> When we reduce the rows parameter to 10000000 the query works. The
> query returns only 581 results.

This is happening because of the way that Solr prepares for searching.
Objects are allocated in heap memory according to the rows value before
the query even gets executed.  If you run Solr on an operating system
other than Windows, the resulting OutOfMemoryError will cause the Solr
process to be killed.  If it's running on Windows, Solr would stay
running, but we have no way of knowing whether it would work *correctly*
after OOME.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#Asking_for_too_many_rows

At the link above is a link to a blog post that covers the problem in
great detail.

https://sbdevel.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/speeding-up-core-search/

With a rows parameter of over 2 billion, Solr (actually it's Lucene,
which provides most of Solr's functionality) will allocate that many
ScoreDoc objects, which needs about 60GB of heap memory.  So it's not
possible on your hardware.

As you'll see if you read the blog post, Toke has some ideas about how
to improve the situation.  I don't think an issue has been filed, but I
could be wrong about that.

Right now, switching to cursorMark or the /export handler is a better
way to get a very large result set.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr Server crashes when requesting a result with too large resultRows

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Georg,

On 7/31/18 12:33 PM, Georg Fette wrote:
> Yes ist is only one of the processors that is at maximum capacity.

Ok.

> How do I do something like a thread-dump of a single thread ?

Here's how to get a thread dump of the whole JVM:
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my
_running_webapp_.3F

The "tid" field of each thread is usually the same as the process-id
from a "top" or "ps" listing, except it's often shown in hex instead
of decimal.

Have a look at this for some guidance:
http://javadrama.blogspot.com/2012/02/why-is-java-eating-my-cpu.html

Some tools dump the tid in hex, others in decimal. It's frustrating
sometimes.

> We run the Solr from the command line out-of-the-box and not in a
> code development environment. Are there parameters that can be
> configured so that the server creates dumps ?
You don't want this to happen automatically. Instead, you'll want to
trigger a dump manually for debugging purposes.

- -chris

Posted by Georg Fette <ge...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi Christoph,
Yes ist is only one of the processors that is at maximum capacity.
How do I do something like a thread-dump of a single thread ? We run the
Solr from the command line out-of-the-box and not in a code development
environment. Are there parameters that can be configured so that the
server creates dumps ?
Greetings
Georg

Dipl.-Inf. Georg Fette      Raum: B009

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Solr Server crashes when requesting a result with too large resultRows

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <to...@kb.dk>.
On Tue, 2018-07-31 at 11:12 +0200, Fette, Georg wrote:
> I agree that receiving too much data in one request is bad. But I
> was surprised that the query works with a lower but still very large
> rows parameter and that there is a threshold at which it crashes the
> server.
> Furthermore, it seems that the reason for the crash is not the size
> of the actual results because those are only 581.

Under the hood, a priority queue is initialized with room for
min(#docs_in_index, rows) document markers. Furthermore that queue is
initialized with placeholder objects (called sentinels). This
structure becomes heavy when entering millions territory, both in terms
of raw memory and in terms of GC overhead due to all the objects. You
could have 1 hit and it would still hit OOM.

It is possible to optimize that part of the Solr code for larger
requests (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2127 and htt
ps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6828), but that would just be
a temporary fix until even larger indexes are queried. The deep paging
or streaming exports that Andrea suggests scales indefinitely in terms
of both documents in the index and documents in the result set.

I would argue your OOM with small result sets and huge rows is a good
thing: You encounter the problem immediately, instead of hitting it at
some random time when a match-a-lot query is issued by a user.

- Toke Eskildsen, Royal Danish Library

Re: Solr Server crashes when requesting a result with too large resultRows

Posted by Andrea Gazzarini <a....@sease.io>.
Yes, but 581 is the final number you got in the response, which is the
result of the main query intersected with the filter query so I wouldn't
take in account this number. The main and the filter query are executed
separately, so I guess (but I'm guessing because I don't know these
internals) that's here where the "rows" parameter matters.

Again, I'm guessing, I'm sure some Solr committer here can explain you
how things are working.

Best,
Andrea

Posted by "Fette, Georg" <ge...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Gazzarini <a....@sease.io>.
Hi Georg,

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hello Georg,

As you have seen, a high rows parameter is a bad idea. Use cursor mark [1] instead.

Regards,
Markus

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_4/pagination-of-results.html