Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by aonewa <ao...@hotmail.com> on 2007/12/12 08:54:11 UTC

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

hadoop use gcj java but St.Ack said to try SUN's JDK that means modify code
in hadoop, yes or no?

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

Posted by aonewa <ao...@hotmail.com>.
now my machine have sun java jdk1.6.0_01 and set $JAVA_HOME already, i search
by tomcat which i  install with command "yum install tomcat" that use jvm
java it is not match with index time, i want to know how i config it

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
>> Ted Dunning wrote:
>>> Hadoop *normally* uses the Sun JDK.  Using gcj successfully would be
>>> a bit
>>> of a surprise.
>>
>> GCJ 4.2 does NOT work. With minor tweaks it's possible to compile all
>> Hadoop classes, including contrib, but it doesn't run properly. The
>> offending class is org.apache.hadoop.io.Text (CharacterEncoder works
>> differently from the Sun implementation, perhaps it's broken). This
>> class (Text) is widely used throughout Hadoop, so it won't work with
>> GCJ for now ...
>
> If anyone knows of specific problems or workarounds, it would be great
> to share them. I thought that gcj was still missing a lot of the the
> java 1.5 libraries...

AFAIK few GUI applications run successfully - AWT / Swing support is
still shaky, but most other APIs are in good shape.

> Actually, the piece I'd love to see working under gcj is the hdfs
> client. I bet gcj would perform better that using jni in libhdfs.

I tried to find some info about this bug in GCJ 4.3, perhaps it's fixed
(I don't know what input caused this error, but there was some work done
on CharacterEncoder since 4.2 release).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

Posted by Owen O'Malley <oo...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Dec 12, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Ted Dunning wrote:
>> Hadoop *normally* uses the Sun JDK.  Using gcj successfully would
>> be a bit
>> of a surprise.
>
> GCJ 4.2 does NOT work. With minor tweaks it's possible to compile
> all Hadoop classes, including contrib, but it doesn't run properly.
> The offending class is org.apache.hadoop.io.Text (CharacterEncoder
> works differently from the Sun implementation, perhaps it's
> broken). This class (Text) is widely used throughout Hadoop, so it
> won't work with GCJ for now ...

If anyone knows of specific problems or workarounds, it would be
great to share them. I thought that gcj was still missing a lot of
the the java 1.5 libraries...

Actually, the piece I'd love to see working under gcj is the hdfs
client. I bet gcj would perform better that using jni in libhdfs.

-- Owen

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
I guess it would be even more of a surprise, then.

:-)

Re: Error Nutchwax Search

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Re: Error Nutchwax Search