Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/03 19:28:17 UTC

Future of the wicketframework.org domain

The wicketframework.org domain is now pointing (through a redirect) to
the wicket.apache.org website.

The domain is still registered on my name, and I'm ready to let it go.
The question is: should we keep the domain (register it through the
ASF) or let it expire.

Expiration has the advantage that we (the ASF) don't have any costs
associated with keeping it alive. The fact that the domain never got
any real traction makes this a viable solution.

However, letting the domain expire gives domain squatters the
opportunity to take the domain and use it for other purposes than we
intend(ed)

Before I cast a vote I'd like to hear if there are other sides and opinions.

If you're interested in which sites link to the domain: here's a
google query [1].

Martijn

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=link:wicketframework.org
Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta4 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta4/

Re: Future of the wicketframework.org domain

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
wicketframework.org would not provide useful information but links to the
real websites... like opencompositing.org does :)

--
Bruno Borges
blog.brunoborges.com.br

"The glory of great men should always be
measured by the means they have used to
acquire it."
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Re: Future of the wicketframework.org domain

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.

Posted by Korbinian Bachl <ko...@whiskyworld.de>.
i find this idea nice, too

Regards,

Korbinian

PS: if the cost of the domain is an issue, then dump me an email and ill
pay these bucks - 10 euro / year is not an issue regarding a great piece
of software IMHO...

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 11/4/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Being at an Apache Conference helps the Apache Foundation by:
>  - your monetary 'donation'

This will bring the attendance price for Members and Committers down
so you get a chance to meet more of them. I've been to last Apache Con
EU ('07) and it was a great experience: it felt like coming home.

Martijn

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Also, for the less fortunate I believe there are some funds available
through the ASF to get help attending an Apache Conference. Though I
do think you'd at least need to be a Member to apply.

But the best odds to get to the conference without having to pay
(much) are to prepare and give a talk, or become an employee of one of
the event's sponsors.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.