Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/01/25 20:32:36 UTC

[VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate (RC0) is available for download at
http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.0RC0/ and Maven artifacts are also
available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1001/

Signed with my code signing key D5365CCD.

HBase 0.98.0 is the next major release after HBase 0.96. It is expected to
be wire compatible with HBase 0.96, so clients and servers mixed between
these versions will seamlessly interoperate, provided new features
available in 0.98 are not enabled. However, the HBase 0.98.0 release is not
intended to be binary compatible at the Java API level with any HBase 0.96
release or earlier. You may need to recompile applications which reference
the HBase JARs. Users of HBase 0.94 will have to perform an offline data
migration procedure during upgrade. Consult the HBase Online Manual for
more information. It is not necessary to migrate data from 0.94 to 0.98
through 0.96, you can upgrade from 0.94 to 0.98 directly if desired
following the same procedure for upgrading from 0.94 to 0.96.

This release includes several new security features like per-cell
visibility labels, per-cell ACLs, transparent encryption, and related
changes to the coprocessor framework. Please see the Security section of
the HBase Online Manual for more information. There are also significant
improvements, such as a change to the write ahead log (WAL) threading model
that provides higher transaction throughput under high load. The list of
changes in this release can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12323143

Please try out the candidate and vote +1/-1 by midnight Pacific Time (00:00
-0800 GMT) on February 1 on whether or not we should release this as
0.98.0.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Binary API compatibility is not a criteria for 0.98 release, as mentioned
prominently in both RC announcements. In fact, we accepted patches that
specifically break it with that in mind.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
For #2.1, I logged HBASE-10460 and attached a patch there.

Thanks, Alex.

Posted by Aleksandr Shulman <al...@cloudera.com>.

--
Best Regards,

Aleks Shulman
847.814.5804
Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:
> Let me vote -1 on 0.98.0RC0 on account of HBASE-10422.

Sorry I didn't mean to sink the RC just for this.  Just thought that
I'd mention it because generally somebody else will come with a
real / good reason why to sink the first RC of any new major release.  :P

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > I brought a up 0.98 regionserver on a 0.96.1.1. cluster that was under
> > load.  It just slotted in and cluster kept going.
> >
> > I then brought up a 0.98.0 master instead of the 0.96.1.1. master and
> that
> > was fine to.
> >

> That is f*cking awesome.

That it works?  Yes.

Take a look at the hbase2 doc when you get a chance.

St.Ack

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> I brought a up 0.98 regionserver on a 0.96.1.1. cluster that was under
> load.  It just slotted in and cluster kept going.
>
> I then brought up a 0.98.0 master instead of the 0.96.1.1. master and that
> was fine to.

That is f*cking awesome.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> > Logging could do w/ an edit -- too profuse.  We need to make INFO level
> > work before 1.0.0.
> >

> Anything specific stand out? We can get in a INFO -> DEBUG reduction in
> before RC1 cuts.

I think it too big an effort for 0.98 moving to INFO as default (We should
set it so in trunk now -- fellas will soon start moving up the logs they
need).  The spew about log archiving and other emissions that do nothing
but announce a code point has been passed out come to mind.  Not important
to sink an RC.

St.Ack

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I am done Andrew.

Doc and layout looks good.

Should make it so javadoc and xref docs are 0.98.0 rather than
0.98.0-hadoop1 and 0.98.0-hadoop2 (but that is not you).

Logging could do w/ an edit -- too profuse.  We need to make INFO level
work before 1.0.0.

I brought a up 0.98 regionserver on a 0.96.1.1. cluster that was under
load.  It just slotted in and cluster kept going.

I then brought up a 0.98.0 master instead of the 0.96.1.1. master and that
was fine to.

Studying logs it looks 'normal'.

So, put up a RC1 and it looks like it is +1-able.... its in the ballpark at
least.

St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Ok, I will tag RC1 tomorrow.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
This was obnoxious, sorry about that Benoit. I will sink this RC and spin
another one today.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I committed your patch on all branches Benoit.  It'll make the next RC and
any releases from here on out.
St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
I think this is expected. It's the first time I tested this in 0.96 or later.
Still +1 here.

I'll do the same test in 0.96 next week. I'd expect it'll be similar to 0.98.
With "pure" scan performance I mostly mean the internal "friction". I.e. everything in the blockcache and all KVs filtered at the server with a filter.

But as you said, this is not a discussion thread.
We can tackle performance improvements later in the cycle.

-- Lars

________________________________
Raw scanning is about 30% slower than 0.94 in pure scan performance.

My initial reaction to that is -0, but I don't think it holds up .0, just charts out work needed for .1. When developing on trunk we looked at the deltas between trunk and trunk+changes, not between releases. How different is this from 0.96 I wonder.

--

Best regards,

   - Andy

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.0 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
+1, Based on the following:

- Checked tarball, documentation, etc
- Installed with Hadoop 2.2
- Went through the upgrade process from 0.94
- Loaded 50m rows
- scanned, flushed, scanned again, compacted, scanned again
- ran my scan client test

Observations:
- The error message could be a bit more desriptive ("Did you run upgrade", instead of "run 'hbase hbck -fixVersionFile'")

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I 'closed' it for you Andrew and it looks good now (I tested with
https://github.com/saintstack/hbase-downstreamer).  That you have to
'close' is in the doc but the releasing section is long and tricky [1] and
likely a little stale too.

St.Ack

1. "..While in this 'open' state you can check out what you've published to
make sure all is good. To do this, login at repository.apache.org using
your apache id. Find your artifacts in the staging repository. Browse the
content. Make sure all artifacts made it up and that the poms look
generally good. If it checks out, 'close' the repo. This will make the
artifacts publically available...."
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#releasing

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Andy:

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
No I didn't. Sorry. Never mind me.

________________________________
Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
This is a vote thread not a discussion thread, please start new threads for discussion.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,