Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2006/02/18 12:42:45 UTC

Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Hi all,

I went ahead and installed JDK 1.5 and made Gump use it.  If it should
turn out to create worse results than we have right now, it is just a
matter of changing a single file to turn it back.

While I was at it (actually waiting for my upload of 47 MB of JDK to
finish) I also upgraded Mono to 1.1.13.

Stefan

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Leo Simons" <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:37:37AM +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This is to "solve" the junit stuff right?
>>
>> JUnit is the most prominent project to require Java 5 ATM, but hardly
>> the only one.  We've had other projects breaking for months now
>> because we didn't provide a Java 5 environment.
>
> Oh. Do you have a (partial) list (in your head or elsewhere)? Are these
> projects "leaf" projects or "core" projects?

I believe that mina was the only one with a significant number of dependant
projects (and, it still won't build since it now requires Maven2 :).

JacORB, jdbm were also on the list.  I think that their were about 4 or 5
others, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:37:37AM +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This is to "solve" the junit stuff right?
>>
>> JUnit is the most prominent project to require Java 5 ATM, but
>> hardly the only one.  We've had other projects breaking for months
>> now because we didn't provide a Java 5 environment.
>
> Oh. Do you have a (partial) list (in your head or elsewhere)? Are
> these projects "leaf" projects or "core" projects?

Leaf.  Some of the smartfrog things, myfaces and at least one other
that I forget right now.

Bill might know, but as he already said, myfaces needs Maven2 now, so
we won't be able to build it anyway.

> The other big one is the template collections (whatever its called,
> the <Foo>List stuff).

Generics.

> The ant project is an example of a project which is very aware of
> its role like that.

It won't compile on JDK 1.1 any longer 8-)

> I feel that gump is failing in that role with this jdk 1.4 -> 1.5
> stuff, and failing in a big way, and I find it frustrating that
> we're not able as a team to contribute a whole lot to easing this
> kind of thing and this kind of mess.

I've read somewhere that Sun was challenging people to find backwards
incompatibilities in Mustang.  Maybe we should start building with a
1.6 snapshot.

> Its my perception that the people working on JUnit 4 have decided to
> take a "bite the bullet" (or the "sour apple") approach to this
> migration, and I think this is wrong,

They've decided to require JDK 1.5 at compile time.  I think JUnit
still doesn't require it at runtime if you use the JUnit 3 style of
tests.

Stefan

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 19.02.2006 11:08:22 Stefan Bodewig wrote:
<snip/>
> > Maybe adding a jdk compatibility mode could be interesting to use /
> > add (didn't look if this is working though) ?
>
> Well, derby would benefit from something like that as well (it needs a
> mixed JDK 1.3/1.4 environment).

Batik/FOP could also profit here. We still have to be compatible with 1.3.1
although most people work on >=1.4. Gump could help a lot in early
detection of mistakes.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Could have sworn I double checked :)

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Is Gump the obsticle?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 03:32:28PM +1030, Steve wrote:
> Incompatible version changes arise from:
>
>    (a) development errors
>
>    (b) planned version change typically flagged
>        by a major version identifier increment
>
> The first is something we want to trap while the second is something managed
> and intentional. Gump does a good job of identifying and reporting errors
> related to (a) but it is weak with respect to supporting managed change
> arising from (b).

Agreed. I think in general most of the software landscape is not so good at
this and most developers don't spend as much effort on it as would be a Good
Thing(tm) (probably because it isn't exactly easy).

> > It might be a nice feature to be able to create a
> > packaged-foobar just from the metadata, without having to get
> > Stefen involved with downloading the jars himself.  Maybe
> > something for Gump 3.
>
> Yep - good suggestion!

Heh. I would love to get back to working on this. Python is *so* much more
fun than java!

I wonder though whether the "true" place to work on this isn't "further down
the stack" (like in ant, make, scons, maven, ...). Gump is very focussed (or
the way we use it at least) on "latest of everything" and this focus helps
keep things somewhat understable (or so we hope). Its a useful focus. I'm
afraid of changing it (e.g. I think Stefan did the right thing by switching
to 1.5, we focus on whatever makes us build the largest part of the tree).

LSD

Re: Is Gump the obsticle?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Steve <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Incompatible version changes arise from:
>
>    (a) development errors
>
>    (b) planned version change typically flagged
>        by a major version identifier increment
>
> The first is something we want to trap

Yep.

> while the second is something managed and intentional.

Exactly.  And we deal with it the way Bill described.  We build dom4j
HEAD separately from the branch that most projects depend on, we've
built different branches of commons-httpclient, for example.

I fully agree that sometimes there may be a good reason to break
backwards compatibility.  And Gump should certainly be able to deal
with it (and in most cases it is).

Stefan

RE: Is Gump the obsticle?

Posted by Steve <mc...@apache.org>.

Yep - good suggestion!

Cheers, Steve.

--------------------------
Stephen McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@dpml.net
http://www.dpml.net

Re: Is Gump the obsticle?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Steve <mc...@apache.org>.

RE: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Steve <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: Upgraded vmgump to JDK 1.5

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
This is to "solve" the junit stuff right?

Will be interesting...I'm personally not happy with how effectively
there's this one project run by a bunch of people who don't particulary
understand enough about backwards compatibility and the like (just like
Sun really) which force this kind of thing. The stupidness is that this
is in part a limitation that gump has. I think I'll try and find time to
blog about this...

ciao!

Leo