Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Rick Tessner <ri...@juno.myra.com> on 2000/05/22 02:10:07 UTC

Re: web application

On Sat, 20 May 2000 20:08:11 +0200, Viktors Rotanovs wrote:

>Is cocoon right tool to build web application (many forms, javascript
>and server-side input checking,
>database interaction) or it's better to use Enhydra for that purpose?
>
>Best Wishes,
>Viktors Rotanovs

Interesting question.  It might help if you look at it in this manner.

Editors note: I'm pretty new to Cocoon, so if my understanding of
              how the bits fit together is waaaaay off base, please
	      let me know! :)

Cocoon is a servlet which runs under some servlet engine/app server.

Enhyrda is a servlet engine/app server.  Technically, I suppose
that Cocoon could run under Enhydra altho I don't know if anyone
has actually done this.  Has anypne?

With XSP, Cocoon does provide similiar (altho better abstracted than) JSP etc.

I guess if you're looking at the number of layers, it kinda looks like
this:

  [ XSP [ Cocoon [ Servlet Engine ] ] ]

And Enhydra, WebLogic, NetDynamics, Apache JServ, etc are all (to some degree)
just servlet engines under which Cocoon (and therefore XSP) can run.

How important is performance to you?  That may dictate to some degree
what you want to use.  That may become less of an issue with Cocoon2.

--
Rick Tessner	rick@myra.com
MYRA Systems Corp. Fone: (250) 381 1335 x125  Phax: (250) 381 1304

"If you can't think of something nice to say, come sit beside me."