Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Ocean <bi...@masterpiece-ag.com> on 2004/09/07 17:52:24 UTC

remove .svn entries

After checking out a working copy, I would like to strip the .svn
entries so that I can tar it up and send it to someone else. They don't
need those entries, and they're just taking up space.

If there is a checkout option to do this, great. If not, what is the
command line to do this? I'm not familiar with doing this type of thing
(i.e. please don't say "write a script to remove the entries,
recursively". I already know that would work. But what is the script?).

Thanks,

Eric Ocean

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by Eric Ocean <bi...@masterpiece-ag.com>.
Thanks to all who responded. "svn export" is indeed what I was looking
for (and I learned a few other things besides ;-).

Eric

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by Stefan <st...@gmx.ch>.
Eric Ocean wrote:

> After checking out a working copy, I would like to strip the .svn
> entries so that I can tar it up and send it to someone else. They don't
> need those entries, and they're just taking up space.
>
> If there is a checkout option to do this, great. If not, what is the
> command line to do this? I'm not familiar with doing this type of thing
> (i.e. please don't say "write a script to remove the entries,
> recursively". I already know that would work. But what is the script?).

'svn export'
comes to mind here.

Stefan

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@ntlworld.com>.
On Sep 13, 2004, at 07:07, Ph. Marek wrote:

>>> Not to be too picky here, but this plain doesn't work for path's
>>> containing
>>> spaces. In Linux, do
>>>    find . -iname '.svn' -print0 | xargs -0 rm
>>> instead. (Just for the sake of being complete, that is).
>>
>> Not to be *too* picky, but .svn is likely to be a (non empty)
>> *directory*.
>>     find . -iname '.svn' -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf
>
> "Not to be *too* picky" :-), but I'd suggest even
>
>  find . -name '.svn' -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

Not to be *too* too picky :-) , but this is my preferred method too,
except it broke when I tried it on a path containing spaces which was
the point of the post I was replying to.

--
Jeremy Pereira
http://www.jeremyp.net

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by "Ph. Marek" <ph...@bmlv.gv.at>.
> > Not to be too picky here, but this plain doesn't work for path's
> > containing
> > spaces. In Linux, do
> >    find . -iname '.svn' -print0 | xargs -0 rm
> > instead. (Just for the sake of being complete, that is).
>
> Not to be *too* picky, but .svn is likely to be a (non empty)
> *directory*.
>     find . -iname '.svn' -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

"Not to be *too* picky" :-), but I'd suggest even

 find . -name '.svn' -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

(which saves trouble with files like .SVN and similar)

(Yes, I know, my version does *a lot* calls to rm. But, believe it or not,
I've had some problems of the shell saying "parameter list too long".
Yes, I know about "xargs -l". That would be
 find . -name '.svn' -type d -print0 | xargs -l200 -0 rm -rf
)

Regards,

Phil

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@ntlworld.com>.
On Sep 7, 2004, at 20:00, Joerg Hessdoerfer wrote:

> Not to be too picky here, but this plain doesn't work for path's
> containing
> spaces. In Linux, do
>
> find . -iname '.svn' -print0 | xargs -0 rm
>
> instead. (Just for the sake of being complete, that is).

Not to be *too* picky, but .svn is likely to be a (non empty)
*directory*.

find . -iname '.svn' -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

> Greetings,
>  Joerg
> --
> Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
> Mail: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com
> WWW:  http://www.sea-gmbh.com

Jeremy Pereira
http://www.jeremyp.net

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by Joerg Hessdoerfer <Jo...@sea-gmbh.com>.
Hi,

Re: remove .svn entries

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 12:52, Eric Ocean wrote:
> After checking out a working copy, I would like to strip the .svn
> entries so that I can tar it up and send it to someone else. They don't
> need those entries, and they're just taking up space.
>
> If there is a checkout option to do this, great.

'svn export'  :-)

>  If not, what is the
> command line to do this?

find . -name '.svn' | xargs rm