Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by zhoujingk_49 <zh...@163.com> on 2019/10/29 02:45:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] I want to change the concept "service" in Apisix to "router-set"

Hi folks!

As we know Apisix is one of an Cloud Native APIGateway, and one of the most important about Cloud Native is
Does our Apisix is friendly enough with Kubernetes?

We all know “ service" is an important concept in Kubernetes, it's an abstraction of pods. It's truly about describing a service things, provider something ability to others. But the “Service” in Apisix, I wandering more of
A router set than a Service. And a Apisix “service” would make someone confused when using Apisix in Kubernetes environment.

So, what’s your opinion?

| |
idevz

zhoujing_k49@163.com

Idevz.org

github.com/idevz

Re: [DISCUSS] I want to change the concept "service" in Apisix to "router-set"

Posted by zhoujingk_49 <zh...@163.com>.
So what about the “route” itself? Its also have upstream, plugins, etc.
What’s a really service should be? It’s must provider some businesses or abilities
rather than a group of route rules alright?

| |
idevz

zhoujing_k49@163.com

Idevz.org

github.com/idevz

On 10/29/2019 17:18,Zhiyuan Ju<ju...@apache.org> wrote:
According to the description of Service[1] here, I would prefer keeping the current Name. Because one service of APISIX here not only includes a group of routes but also has upstream, plugins, etc.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-apisix/blob/master/doc/architecture-design.md#service

Best Regards!

@ Zhiyuan Ju

zhoujingk_49 <zh...@163.com> 于2019年10月29日周二 下午4:36写道:

I couldn’t concept your reason as “there is also `service` in Kong”, we’re ApiSix not Kong.
We should not forgot that the “service” in APISix is just a truly “route set". We should face the truth.

| |
idevz

zhoujing_k49@163.com

Idevz.org

github.com/idevz

On 10/29/2019 16:32,YuanSheng Wang<me...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi:

I thought about it, there is also `service` in Kong, and here we are almost
the same.

So I prefer to continue using `service`.

--

*MembPhis*
My github: https://github.com/membphis

Re: [DISCUSS] I want to change the concept "service" in Apisix to "router-set"

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
According to the description of Service[1] here, I would prefer *keeping
the current Name*. Because one service of APISIX here not only includes a
group of routes but also has upstream, plugins, etc.

[image: image.png]

@ Zhiyuan Ju <https://www.shaoyaoju.org/>

Posted by YuanSheng Wang <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi:

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Got it, RouteSet may be more semanticization, but from another perspective,
it's not a good idea to be constrained by other things, we need a deeper
discussion about the balance :)

zhoujingk_49 <zh...@163.com> 于2019年10月29日周二 上午11:30写道:

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.
Hi zhoujing_k49,