Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Anton Schoultz <An...@discovery.co.za> on 2007/08/03 09:04:20 UTC

WebLogic Deployment ok from child, fails from parent ?

Hi,

I have an prototype setup with three modules, 2 Jars and a WEB app.
I have set up the WebLogic plugins in the web project.

When I CD to the web project and "mvn weblogic:deploy" the web app is
deployed as expected.

However, if I go to the root/parent dir and try "mvn weblogic:deploy" I
get this error

[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Unnamed - com.mergere.mvnbook:build-all-aggregator:pom:1
[INFO]   console
[INFO]   helloworld
[INFO]   helloWeb
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'weblogic'.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-weblogic-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found

in this setup I'm ONLY looking at deployment issues.

Here's the parent pom

	<project>
	  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
	  <groupId>com.mergere.mvnbook</groupId>
	  <artifactId>build-all-aggregator</artifactId>
	  <version>1</version>
	  <packaging>pom</packaging>
	  <modules>
	    <module>console</module>
	    <module>helloworld</module>
	    <module>helloWeb</module>
	  </modules>
	</project>

And here's the web-app (child) pom

<project>
  <parent>
    <artifactId>build-all-aggregator</artifactId>
    <groupId>com.mergere.mvnbook</groupId>
    <version>1</version>
  </parent>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>anton</groupId>
  <artifactId>helloWeb</artifactId>
  <name>helloWeb</name>
  <description>testWeb</description>
  <packaging>war</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

  <build>
    <plugins>
		<plugin><!-- WebLogic Plugin for deploy
================================== WebLogic -->
			<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
			<artifactId>weblogic-maven-plugin</artifactId>
			<version>2.9.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
			<configuration>

<adminServerHostName>${weblogicServerHostName}</adminServerHostName><!--
localhost -->

<adminServerPort>${weblogicServerPort}</adminServerPort>

<adminServerProtocol>http</adminServerProtocol>
			  <userId>${weblogicUserId}</userId>
			  <password>${weblogicPassword}</password>
			  <upload>true</upload>
			  <remote>true</remote>
			  <verbose>true</verbose>
			  <debug>false</debug>

<targetNames>${weblogicTargetNames}</targetNames>

<artifactPath>D:\build\helloWeb\target\helloWeb-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war</artifa
ctPath>
			  <name>helloWeb</name><!-- app name on the
server -->
			  <projectPackaging>war</projectPackaging>
			</configuration>
		</plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

</project>

Any ideas? How should I be approaching this?

In our situataion we have 50 odd projects, most of which are deployable
(ear / war),
with only a handfull being jar projects. We'd like to be able to deploy
all of them in one cmd.
I figure each deployable project will have it's own weblogic plugin and
config - with more
generic handling of the artifactPath obviously.

TestBox: WinXp; WebLogic:9.2x; Maven:2.0.6; Jdk:1.5.0_06

Anton Schoultz
Senior Java developer
Life Systems - Servicing
Discovery Life
Direct: +27 11 529 1636
Mobile: +27 83 651 7191
Email: AntonSc@discovery.co.za

Discovery Holdings Limited

Registration number: 1999/007789/06

This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please notify Discovery immediately, telephone number +27 11 529 2888. Any unauthorised use; alteration or dissemination of the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. In no event will Discovery or the sender be liable in any manner whatsoever to any person for any loss or any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages arising from use of this email or any linked website, including, without limitation, from any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programmes or other data that may be stored on any information handling system or otherwise from any assurance that this email is virus free even if Discovery is expressly advised of the possibility of such damages. Discovery is an Authorised Financial Services Provider. A full list of directors is available on our website at
https://www.discovery.co.za/index_login.jhtml?p_content=/investor_relations/directorate.jhtml alternatively, to obtain a full list of Directors via email, please email directors_list@discovery.co.za

Re: WebLogic Deployment ok from child, fails from parent ?

Posted by Ro...@toyota.com.au.
Thanks Scott,

I just wanted to confirm that the behaviour that Anton asked for is not
supported. Your response to him didn't really answer that question.

I think the *default* behaviour that would be nice to have is when you
perform "mvn weblogic:deploy" at root pom and any child poms that has
artifact of type war/ear should get deployed to weblogic (I assume that we
use plugin management here to define global behaviour of where the admin
server is). I also think that this behaviour is consistent with other
plugins in maven.

The scenario you mentioned about an ear consisting of war in the same
project tree, I think that is an exception case. Could you handle that by
having a configuration in the parent pom plugin that allows user to
ignores the deployment of certain project ?

I have about 4 wars sub modules in my projects and yes in production I
would deploy each of them individually but when I want to refresh DEV and
TEST, it is a tedious work.

Cheers,
rOnn c.

Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>
Sent by: Scott Ryan <sr...@gmail.com>
08/07/2007 10:25 PM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: WebLogic Deployment ok from child, fails from parent ?

You  have to run the deploy command from the war directory if you
want to deploy the war.  This is because the project type and object
location are dynamically determined from the pom.xml of the directory
you are running in.   You cannot run the command from the parent
directory because it will then try to deploy all artifacts in all
projects which is not what you want.  What is it you are trying to do
exactly?  The plugin will work with the deployment information
defined anywhere in any parent pom but you must run the command from
the proper project.  I suppose I could include code to ignore
deployments made from directories that are not supported but that
breaks complex projects.   For example if you have a parent and a war
child and jar child and ear child.  You only want the ear to deploy
but how does the plugin know not to deploy the war as well.

You will have to describe the scenario that you want to occur so that
I can understand what you are expecting to happen.  Use a complex
project containing a parent pom of project type pom and 3 child
projects one jar, one ear, and one war.   What would you like to
happen in this case?

Scott Ryan

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.

Posted by Scott Ryan <sc...@theryansplace.com>.