Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2003/09/05 16:38:50 UTC

Gump and Forrest

All,

Can I impose upon you for some help with forrest? I'd appreciate some
help/feedback designing the approach I take for the main aspects:

1) sitemap.xml or book.xml or both.
2) Directory structure
3) Templating/Site Customisation
4) Nice features (e.g. red/yellow/white)

1) I'm sorry but I never understood how forrest finds xdocs. My local
version seems to find all, yet Nick's doesn't. I know I should create a
book.xml per directory, and perhaps even/also a sitemap.xml, but I am
looking for the easiest solution, since I have to code the creation of
these. Can somebody suggest a strategy,.e.g. dynamically create book.xml per
directory,  and I'll code it.

2) I think I ought put things:

    $LOG = Gump Workspace 'Log' directory = $GUMP_WORK/log (say)

    $LOG/content
    $LOG/content/xdocs = the generated pages

    $LOG/site = the output.

Is there a nicer way? Ought I put xdocs into $GUMP_WORK/content/xdocs (not
into log) and put site as $LOG?

3) I need to allow templating (1) of default skin/images/etc. (2) use/site
overrides. As such I need to copy certain things into $LOG/content above
from somewhere, two places (I think). What is the best place to store the
defaults and allow the site to customise? Ought we start a
jakarta-gump/templates/documentation/ tree that folks can add to, that gets
copied to $LOG/content? Is there any way we can leverage the site/xdocs
contents somehow?

4) I guess I need to dig into the documentation (I find it hard to grok)
and/or ask the forrest mailing list on this one. I'll try to find time to do
this.

regards,

Adam
--
Experience Sybase Technology...
http://www.try.sybase.com

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

> http://gump.chalko.com/py/index.html
>
> Is starting to look good.

Thanks, I agree I am getting closer, but I feel I still need to get inside
it some more. I was hoping your site would give me data points where I could
work out the final logic bugs ,but the forrest output isn't complete (many
of the projects are not showing up, although the xdoc is there.)

Two things:

1) Could somebody (perhaps one of the public Gump servers) work with me to
set up a nighlty Python Gump of the full workspace? Do folks have resoruce
sfor that?

2) I need to get Forrest happy w/ my xdocs & configuration...

That said, a few things I like:

The stats (by time, project count, dependencies, dependees). I need to add
by FOG Factor.

http://gump.chalko.com/py/gump_stats/elapsed.html
http://gump.chalko.com/py/gump_stats/projects.html
http://gump.chalko.com/py/gump_stats/dependencies.html
http://gump.chalko.com/py/gump_stats/dependees.html

Some of the site "introspection"

http://gump.chalko.com/py/index.html
http://gump.chalko.com/py/checkenvironment/check_java.html
http://gump.chalko.com/py/checkenvironment/check_forrest.html

The output looks a better on my site [behind a firewall sorry], 'cos I have
no broken links -- the project pages show. Clearly, I just don't get forrest
(or the forrest here is older, see
http://gump.chalko.com/py/checkenvironment/check_forrest.html).

A few Forrest TODOs I have:

1) I've read (as best I can) the site.xml documentation and I don't see
where I list all the files I want to include. Do I do it via menus, via
directories, or individual files? Sorry to be so slow on this part.

2) I'd like to suppress PDF generation, if I can. I don't see a need for it
given this more transient (nightly) information.

3) I'd like a cool skin/customisation, i.e. the Gump look. I tried setting
stuff in templates/forrest/... but I don't see much from it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,

Adam

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Re: Gump and Forrest

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Just do the easiest thing for now, it's not important (and I never liked
> where Gump put things, but again I never changed it as it's... again not
> important).

I've tried copying a template/forrest into workspace.basedir to give a

I got tired of having to do builds to test this, so I put a "unit test' into
document.py.

To test simple run something like:

    python gump/document.py -w ../gump.xml

and it ought attempt it's thing. Look for "Executing forrest ... (output to

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > So can I create a template site.xml, or do I need something dynamic?
Sorry,
> > looking for a big assist. :-)
>
> Ok, then I'll have to run the baby ;-)
>
> I've been busy in these weeks so I followed the mails briefly; what
> should I do to run it and where should I look into to see what to change?

I've tried to update this:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?GumpPython

You ought be able to just run:

    SET PYTHONPATH=C:\jakarta-gump\python
    CD /d C:\jakarta-gump\python
    python jakarta-gump\integrate.py -w ..\myworkspace.xml all
or    cd /jakarta-gump/python
    export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`
    python jakarta-gump/integrate.py -w ../myworkspace.xml krysalis-*

Also Nick and I use a (getting better) gumpy.sh that relies upon a few
environment variables. I have 3 (ok 6 w/ traditional/python) gump in various
places so it helps me. But for one I have:

export FULL=$HOME/gump/python/full_gump

export GUMP=$FULL/jakarta-gump
export GUMP_WS=$FULL/gump-ws
export GUMP_LOG_DIR=$GUMP_WS/www

bash $GUMP/gumpy.sh $1 $2 $3 $4

I have a few issues I need to patch in CVS, but it'll give you the jist.

That all said --- I'm not asking you to run it, just tell me how to get
started w/ a site.xml -- and can I avoid dynamically creating one and just
write a static template I copy that includes **/*.xml. :-)

regards

Adam

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>That's site.xml
>
> So can I create a template site.xml, or do I need something dynamic? Sorry,
> looking for a big assist. :-)

Ok, then I'll have to run the baby ;-)

I've been busy in these weeks so I followed the mails briefly; what
should I do to run it and where should I look into to see what to change?

>>>Is there a nicer way?
>>
>>In which sense 'nicer'?
>
> I guess, more "traditional gump-like". Ought site be the log directory,
> ought I create content/xdocs in some other place. I guess trying to be more
> like traditional gump.

Just do the easiest thing for now, it's not important (and I never liked
where Gump put things, but again I never changed it as it's... again not
important).

>>Can you please explain better the usecase? I reckon that a single Gump
>>run will have a single skin to be used in the site generation.
>
> I was thinking that we'd ship a Jakarta-Gump skin & resources, like the one
> the Jakarta-Gump site uses, but then a site might wish to override it's
> logo, it's skin, etc. I am setting up Gumps internally @ work, and much as I
> give Jakarta Gump credit I'd like to brand our results as Sybase (to make my
> target audience more accepting).

Ok, I guess my brain is frying after working too much, now I get it.

So, let's say that Gump is like forrest. As Forrest can be run on a
Project docs, Gump can be run on a workspace definition.
Let's now expand Gump so that it can run on a workspace project: in your
case you would create a sybase-gump project:

  sybase-gump/
     forrest.properties
     status.xml
     workspace.xml (not the usual module.xml)
     src/
       documentation/
         skinconf.xml
         resources/
           images/
             group-logo.png
             project-logo.png
         content/
            xdocs

We would run then Gump on this workspace, and it would use this project
to create the default work dirs, the default result dirs, and use the
Forrest site, by adding the generated docs in a special
src/d11n/content/xdocs/gump dir, or have gump first copy the site to a
temp dir and add the generated docs there.

In this way we finally are able to decouple the jakarta-gump project
from the installed instances.

>>3 - wait till we enable the "class" attribute in all elements and make
>>     a special Gump skin that enhances that Forrest one
>>     - drawbacks: non standard skins, cannot use readymade ones
>
> I have *no clue* on forrest internals, so I am in no real position to judge
> if this is good/bad or ugly. That said, if I could easily add 'class=ERROR'
> or something to a <TR or <TD or whatever, wouldn't existing
> skins/stylesheets just ignore it? Could I not somehow cascade a small
> stylesheet for this feature on top of existing ones? [Forgive me if I am
> confusing old CSS stuff w/ forrest stuff & talking junk... :-)]

If Forrest had a defineable user-stylesheet, yes. Currently it does not,
but it seems that it's the easiest and best thing to do.
I'll see what I can do tomorrow morning.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

Re: Gump and Forrest

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> All,
>
> Can I impose upon you for some help with forrest?

Let's see if I can help a bit.

> I'd appreciate some
> help/feedback designing the approach I take for the main aspects:
>
> 1) sitemap.xml or book.xml or both.
> 2) Directory structure
> 3) Templating/Site Customisation
> 4) Nice features (e.g. red/yellow/white)
>
> 1) I'm sorry but I never understood how forrest finds xdocs. My local
> version seems to find all, yet Nick's doesn't. I know I should create a
> book.xml per directory, and perhaps even/also a sitemap.xml,

That's site.xml

> but I am
> looking for the easiest solution, since I have to code the creation of
> these. Can somebody suggest a strategy,.e.g. dynamically create book.xml per
> directory,  and I'll code it.

I think that for generated pages the best bet it using site.xml as a
default menu for the summaries and book.xml for each section.

> 2) I think I ought put things:
>
>     $LOG = Gump Workspace 'Log' directory = $GUMP_WORK/log (say)
>
>     $LOG/content
>     $LOG/content/xdocs = the generated pages
>
>     $LOG/site = the output.
>
> Is there a nicer way?

In which sense 'nicer'?

> Ought I put xdocs into $GUMP_WORK/content/xdocs (not
> into log) and put site as $LOG?

Forrest builds from a content dir, that can contain not only xdocs but
also resources or raw files (the default raw file location will change
in the 0.6 release).

So I'd say that your suggested layout seems OK.

> 3) I need to allow templating (1) of default skin/images/etc. (2) use/site
> overrides.

Can you please explain better the usecase? I reckon that a single Gump
run will have a single skin to be used in the site generation.

> As such I need to copy certain things into $LOG/content above
> from somewhere, two places (I think). What is the best place to store the
> defaults and allow the site to customise? Ought we start a
> jakarta-gump/templates/documentation/ tree that folks can add to, that gets
> copied to $LOG/content? Is there any way we can leverage the site/xdocs
> contents somehow?
>
> 4) I guess I need to dig into the documentation (I find it hard to grok)
> and/or ask the forrest mailing list on this one. I'll try to find time to do
> this.

Well, ATM to change coloring you can:
1 - output the pages as ehtml, that is plain html that gets just
     decorated with the top and left bars
     - drawbacks: only html output
2 - change the xdocs format and stylesheets
     - drawbacks: non standard xdocs and skins, cannot use readymade ones
3 - wait till we enable the "class" attribute in all elements and make
     a special Gump skin that enhances that Forrest one
     - drawbacks: non standard skins, cannot use readymade ones
4 - wait till I do a change in Forrest that will allow you to
     output also embedded xhtml in the xdocs
     - drawbacks: waiting for me ;-P
     (maybe it already works, haven't tried it)
             - verba volant, scripta manent -