Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Daroussin, Arnaud" <ar...@capgemini.com> on 2007/08/09 15:15:27 UTC

Declare external properties files

Hello,

I read on the pom Reference page (http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Properties) we can declare properties in external files and use it in pom.xml.

I find a way to use external properties with resources filters but not in other case.

Can you explain how to do this ?

Thanks,

Arnaud.

Re: Declare external properties files

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 9 Aug 07, at 3:15 PM 9 Aug 07, Daroussin, Arnaud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read on the pom Reference page (http://maven.apache.org/
> pom.html#Properties) we can declare properties in external files
> and use it in pom.xml.

That documentation is wrong, you can't store properties externally
that are interpolated. I corrected the documentation and will be
updated on the next site publish.

> I find a way to use external properties with resources filters but
> not in other case.
>
> Can you explain how to do this ?

We keep the properties in the POM so that the information required to
build is in a single resource. You can put all the properties you
need in the POM and use profiles if you need different properties for
different cases.

> Thanks,
>
> Arnaud.

> confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is
> intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are
> not the intended recipient,  you are not authorized to read, print,
> retain, copy, disseminate,  distribute, or use this message or any
> part thereof. If you receive this  message in error, please notify
> the sender immediately and delete all  copies of this message.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven