Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Brian C. Dilley" <bd...@estalea.com> on 2010/03/23 19:49:17 UTC

multi-company branching/release conundrum

Scenario:
    I work for a company that manages many SCM repositories and many
maven 2 projects.  Each of these companies have their own code base and
maven repositories and share a few (10-12) maven projects in an SCM that
all of the companies have access to.   Currently each company has their
own branch in the shared repository and things are merged from
trunk->branch and branch<-trunk as needed.  Each company's branch is
updated from trunk on an as needed basis as doing so incurs extra QA
time (whatever was in trunk needs to be tested within their environment).

Question:
    How would you guys handle this situation?  Each company needs to be
able to deploy their own versions of the shared Maven2 projects to the
shared repository without writing over each other's artifacts in that
shared repository.  I thought of using classifiers for the companies -
but the maven deploy plugin doesn't add the classifier to the deploy
goal.  Any help would be appreciated :)

Re: multi-company branching/release conundrum

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Brian C. Dilley wrote:
> Scenario:
>    I work for a company that manages many SCM repositories and many
> maven 2 projects.  Each of these companies have their own code base
> and maven repositories and share a few (10-12) maven projects in an
> SCM that all of the companies have access to.   Currently each company
> has their own branch in the shared repository and things are merged
> from trunk->branch and branch<-trunk as needed.  Each company's branch
> is updated from trunk on an as needed basis as doing so incurs extra
> QA time (whatever was in trunk needs to be tested within their
> environment).
>
> Question:
>    How would you guys handle this situation?  Each company needs to be
> able to deploy their own versions of the shared Maven2 projects to the
> shared repository without writing over each other's artifacts in that
> shared repository.  I thought of using classifiers for the companies -
> but the maven deploy plugin doesn't add the classifier to the deploy
> goal.  Any help would be appreciated :)

Without knowing all the details, I would try to find ways to extract as
much code as possible into libraries that are common to every company
and try to reduce the corporate specific stuff to small almost codeless
projects that depended on the shared libraries for most of their code.
Good versioning of api's and careful dependency management will reduce
the QA issue.
I would suspect that a DI framework like Spring would also be a big help.

Ron