Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/12 21:55:28 UTC

[drlvm] IPF functionality

Hi,
  There is incomplete support for IPF platforms in the DRLVM codebase, as
many may have seen. It would be nice to complete it. There are a couple of
issues on how to start this. IPF specific changes are likely to be quite
significant, including changes in the JIT, garbage collector(s), exception
handling model and other core VM areas, as well as IPF functionality and
performance specific tests. Given the invasive nature of these changes, it
seems to me that we  could:

1. Create a seperate branch in svn and do all IPF work there. JIRA
submissions could be clearly marked [IPF]. Since most committers may not
have access to IPF paltforms ( a safe guess :-) ) right now, they could help
by just applying the patches and committing the IPF submissions into the
branch( without testing, but certainly code review comments and IPF
verification, if possible are welcome ). It would be  the responsibility of
the few IPF code contributors to keep their branch tested and stable. This
means some additional work for the committers, but worse..at some point when
the IPF port is completed, if we want to merge the code back into the trunk,
that will not be a small task.
2. Not create a seperate branch. Committers ( at least those without access
to IPF ) could verify on their favorite IA32 or EM64T platform before
committing the IPF related changes also into trunk. This way, we are not
defering the merge problem, but overall everyone is impacted because there
will be more commits into the trunk, more conflicts, and things will be
somewhat slower. This is somewhat the model that we are following with
EM64T specific submissions now, but IPF specific changes and submissions are
expected to be of higher volume.
3. Follow 1, but always keep IPF as a special platform on a seperate
branch. Never merge back. As IPF functionality is more complete and
committers get access to IPF machines, we just start testing  more
rigorously before commiting IPF code and also  start running automated tests
( whatever we are doing in the main branch ). IPF distributions can be
rolled out of its own branch.

However we do it could be a model for porting to other future platforms (
let's say Mac ) as well. Comments or other ideas?

Thanks,
Rana

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to mention that the vast majority of the classlib code is
buildable and executable on IPF without any additional changes. The
one exception I know, is assembler code from
luni module which supports threading. I think it could be sorted out
in the same way as it was done for em64t. Also the ant build should be
modified and proper binaries added to the depends.

So, speaking about classlib, I am +1 for the main trunk.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x201 day of Apache Harmony Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>> I think that over time, we will start seeing  IPF specific code files
>> appearing ... eg., quite a different jit, IPFhelpers.cpp,
>> IPFexception_filters.cpp, IPFnativestack.cpp,  IPFprofiledrivers.cpp etc.
>> That is my impression of how most IPF ports go. Even in the main codebase
>> they will virtually be a branch. While they are architecturally quite
>> seperate, they are seperate enough to maybe not cause a lot of conflict.
>> So the question is really one of how we want to manage this, and if we want
>> to consider the IPF work as mainline work or secondary. That is my
>> understanding. I am fine with Geir's choice, and his comment about it being
>> easier to manage one codeline makes sense. But I would request leaving this
>> open for some more comments from the jit guys and others before we decide.
>
> Actually, I am +1 to Geir. Let's face the problems not earlier than
> they appear. When Geir becomes overwhelmed with IPF patches, we may
> reconsider it to a separate branch. Premature optimization is the root
> of all evil :)

Unless you are a JIT

geir

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> I think that over time, we will start seeing  IPF specific code files
> appearing ... eg., quite a different jit, IPFhelpers.cpp,
> IPFexception_filters.cpp, IPFnativestack.cpp,  IPFprofiledrivers.cpp etc.
> That is my impression of how most IPF ports go. Even in the main codebase
> they will virtually be a branch. While they are architecturally quite
> seperate, they are seperate enough to maybe not cause a lot of conflict.
> So the question is really one of how we want to manage this, and if we want
> to consider the IPF work as mainline work or secondary.

I think it's secondary from the POV of availability, where x86 is
ubiquitous, not in importance as a platform.

> That is my
> understanding. I am fine with Geir's choice, and his comment about it being
> easier to manage one codeline makes sense. But I would request leaving this
> open for some more comments from the jit guys and others before we decide.

My point is that we don't need a "decision" to get moving forward.  We
can just move forward with the status quo, and if we run into a problem,
then we can decide what to do...

geir

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> 2006/10/16, Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>:
>> On 10/16/06, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > Isn't it time to define the official set of supported platforms? ;)
>>

>> After reading the neighbour threads about hardware available for
>> commiters
>> and precommit criteria I think that we have no officially supported
>> platforms today (and IMO this is wrong).
>>
>> What is the difference in your vision between official supported and
>> official not supported platforms?
>
> IMHO the difference is we back commit if it breaks officially supported
> platform and not necessarily do if it breaks unsupported one

If pressed, I would assert that we officially* support Windows XP x86
and Linux** x86.

* = I say "officially" with the caveat that we are all volunteers here,
and support for a platform will only remain as long as people are
willing to volunteer to support it.

** = We should define to be a set of popular platforms.  I'll start a
new thread so we can put this to bed and get back to work ;)

geir

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
2006/10/16, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> >>
> >> Beyond sniffing the patch to ensure it looks reasonable, the best a
> >> committer can do is to test it on the platforms he or she has available.
> >>  After that we rely on the diversity of the community building and
> >> testing the code to catch any problems; i.e. the change doesn't
> >> necessarily end with the commit, it may still have to be backed out.
> >

> And the hope is that we'll have the project's CI system running on lots
> of places.
>
> > How will we define which changes should be backed out?
> > Do you mean that we first define list of "supported" platforms
> > and then we will roll back all the changes that reportedly break
> > build on one of that platform?
>
> Yes - I think that we'll eventually get to that state formally, and
> we're there now informally.  I suspect that a change to support IPF that
> broke x86 would be backed out w/o a complaint :)
>

> > What would be the procedure to add a new platform to the list of
> > supported ones? (Well I assume it's a vote, but what are the criteria
> > to be used in that vote?)
>
> I think that having "criteria" for use in a vote misses the point -
> because otherwise we'd determine based on the criteria and not need to vote.

So, you mean that criteria is judgement? ;)
Somehow it works...

Thanks,
Mikhail

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/10/16, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
> 2006/10/14, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> > Just to add my 2p -- I also agree with doing the work in the trunk.  Of
> > course the minimum cost of working there is that you do no harm to the
> > other platforms.  That is the zeroth level of integration.
> >
> > The first level of integration would then be to modify the build system
> > to build the IPF code, and of course it has to compile, know it's
> > dependencies, etc. etc.
> >
> > Until the code can run some useful tests it is probably worth going on
> > to run only a restricted set of the tests we have and then take on more.
> >
> > We can be bringing a number of new platforms on line simultaneously this
> > way, with each potentially being at a different level of
> > integration/maturity within the project.
>
> When we bring new platforms how will we make sure that a patch for some
> rare platform would not break another one?

Supposed we can charge CC on all supported platforms:

while (!passed.on.available platforms) {
   defer patch & discuss;
}
do commit;
if (some.platform.CC.failed) {
   rollback or fix ASAP;
}

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Slava Shakin wrote:
> Geir,
>
> The following scenario illustrates my point (just in case):
> Let's assume that IPF porting group managed to run "hello world" on IPF in
> the main trunk. The next goal might be a bit more sophisticated workload
> (like Eclipse). For fast progress towards that goal the IPF porting group
> will not want any regressions wrt their results in the branch they work
> with. But patches from other (non-IPF) contributors are not supposed to be
> tested on IPF and can easily break even building on that platform.

Agreed.

> This is just one more argument for doing IPF porting in a separate branch,
> at least since some point.
>
> I admit that maintaining quality and checking for regressions on new
> platforms is a separate big problem but I believe we could try to avoid it
> during "incubation" of new platforms.
>
> Overall I agree we could wait with branch creation until real problems
> appear.

Great

geir

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Sergey Soldatov <se...@gmail.com>.
If something can break IPF build it will break it during the merge. And in
this case it will take much more efforts and time to find the reason why the
build is broken. IMHO the main reason to make a separate branch is an
absolutely new implementation which will replace an existing one and this is
not our case.

On 10/13/06, Slava Shakin <vy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Geir,
>
> The following scenario illustrates my point (just in case):
> Let's assume that IPF porting group managed to run "hello world" on IPF in
> the main trunk. The next goal might be a bit more sophisticated workload
> (like Eclipse). For fast progress towards that goal the IPF porting group
> will not want any regressions wrt their results in the branch they work
> with. But patches from other (non-IPF) contributors are not supposed to be
> tested on IPF and can easily break even building on that platform.
>
> This is just one more argument for doing IPF porting in a separate branch,
> at least since some point.
>
> I admit that maintaining quality and checking for regressions on new
> platforms is a separate big problem but I believe we could try to avoid it
> during "incubation" of new platforms.
>
> Overall I agree we could wait with branch creation until real problems
> appear.
>
> --
> Slava Shakin, Intel Middleware Products Division
>
> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Slava Shakin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have an opposite concern: will the main trunk guarantee it always
> >> builds and works on IPF.
> >
> > Clearly not.  It doesn't now.
> >
> >> IMO this will soon become critical for the IPF porting effort but will
> >> imply passing certain pre-commit tests on IPF for any changes which
> >> potentially affect working on this platform. Which relates to another
> >> discussion about the list platforms to test each commit on.
> >
> > Sure - but the model now is that some small group of contributors will
> be
> > working on IPF support, seemingly independently of the rest.  I'd think
> > they could ensure that what is offered as patches at least compiles :)
> >

> >> The first stage of IPF porting effort will probably be porting
> classlibs
> >> and running things in VM interpreter mode. Perhaps, it makes sense to
> >> keep everything in the main trunk during this period. But later we will
> >> likely want a separate branch.

Sergey Soldatov
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Slava Shakin <vy...@gmail.com>.
Geir,

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Slava Shakin <vy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> The current state of the IPF code in our codebase is "it won't build". So
> there are a lot of things to do before running first test.
> And for -every- commit of the IPF code IPF developers plus every commiter
> have to check that their changes do not break IA32/EM64T build.
> If you even could not built and run a simple Hello World why to keep it in
> the main trunk?

Because I'm terrified that it's going to be really painful to merge the
branches.  I mean, the code won't even build now...

So for every commit of the IPF code, yes, I'm going to check the what I
can in IA32/64T....

Re: [drlvm] IPF functionality

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.

--