Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com> on 2001/03/28 08:52:08 UTC

FW: Tomcat 4 service

I posted this to tomcat-user with no response.

Does such a beast exist? If not I'll volunteer to port the Tomcat 3.2 code.
Just point me at it!

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

RE: Tomcat 4 service

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
This is my wrapper.properties file.

The biggest change from TC 3.2 was to the cmd_line. I had to change the
class (obviously), add a -Dcatalina.home and add a 'start' command at the
end.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

Re: Tomcat 4 service

RE: FW: Tomcat 4 service

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
> There is some basic code aimed at allowing the creation of such a beast in
> the "service" directory of the source repository.  Besides just being able
> to start and stop Tomcat as a service, one of the goals is to interact
> with the connector startup so we can run Tomcat 4 on port 80 without
> having to be root.  This will require a couple of changes to the
> Connector interface as well as a Tomcat-4 specific version of the service
> startup stuff.
>
> It would be great if you wanted to work on this!

I'll take a look, but I'm slightly confused (not unusual :-) ) You say above
about non-roots not being able to run Tomcat on port 80. This is NT/W2K
we're talking about right? Or is there some connection between the service
code and *nix?

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

Re: FW: Tomcat 4 service

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Kevin Jones wrote:

> I posted this to tomcat-user with no response.
>
> Does such a beast exist? If not I'll volunteer to port the Tomcat 3.2 code.
> Just point me at it!

There is some basic code aimed at allowing the creation of such a beast in
the "service" directory of the source repository.  Besides just being able
to start and stop Tomcat as a service, one of the goals is to interact
with the connector startup so we can run Tomcat 4 on port 80 without
having to be root.  This will require a couple of changes to the
Connector interface as well as a Tomcat-4 specific version of the service
startup stuff.

It would be great if you wanted to work on this!

> Kevin Jones
> DevelopMentor
> www.develop.com

Craig