Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/11/12 15:21:44 UTC

identifying the version of serialized grammars

For the serializing/deserializing effort the initial idea was to use the
project Version Release Modification (VRM) to identify what version the
serialized file is at.  This would work fine for the actual releases of the
project.  However, since we frequently request user's to get the latest
code from CVS we have a problem as during the development cycle there could
be numerous changes to the serialization and we would still be using the
same VRM identifier.  One possible alternative to this is to use VRM +
Serialization Level.   The "Serialization Level" would be a #define value
that needs to be updated every time a change is made to serialization.  The
serialization level could be stored in XercesVersion.hpp.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Hopefully there isn't too much overhead with having to increment the
Serialization Level when checking code in that has serialization changes.
To keep track of this item I was considering creating a list of coding
reminders that should be reviewed before checking code in (for example,
make sure code uses new memory management, etc).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,
David A. Cargill