Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/03/07 17:58:49 UTC

[ot] switcha

As you probably noted from the fact that I don't have a signature
anymore (I'm going minimalistic, pruning all unnecessary stuff), I've
changed my machine. It's a brand new powerbook g4, fast machine, lots of
ram, lots of disks, lots of stuff.

it will take some time to adjust to the new development environment,
hopefully switching to eclipse for everything (including CVS).

I'm a switcha. I'm saying goodbye to microsoft stuff. And I'm happy
about it.

Will report about build times ASAP.

ciao

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@internuscorp.com>.
On Saturday 08 March 2003 00:58, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> pruning all unnecessary stuff),

You always hit the head of people not cleaning up emails before commenting on
them, but you ain't too good at that lately either...

> changed my machine. It's a brand new powerbook g4, fast machine, lots of
> ram, lots of disks, lots of stuff.

Good Luck!! A friend used Mac since mid 90s has had an awful lot of trouble
with PowerBook of last year and a iMac from the year before. Always weird
problems.

> it will take some time to adjust to the new development environment,
> hopefully switching to eclipse for everything (including CVS).
>
> I'm a switcha. I'm saying goodbye to microsoft stuff. And I'm happy
> about it.

Thought you were more into the Linux world ;o) Well, some are not, I guess.

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 9/3/03 18:15, "Stefano Mazzocchi" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Java is fine - but do not do httpd-2.0 just after you did 1.3; somehow
>> libtool on OS slows it down by an increadible amounth.
>
> Ok, thanks. Good to know.

I build with Justin's "jlibtool" which is native and a bazillion times
faster, and even less buggy! :-) There's a patch for the build process
available on his homepage...

http://www.apache.org/~jerenkrantz/jlibtool/

Building apache 2 goes from the usual 10/15 minutes to around 1/2 minutes...
Libtool sucks! BUT JLibtool _rocks_ :-) :-) :-)

    Pier (who compiled AP2 a few million times)

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>As you probably noted from the fact that I don't have a signature
>>anymore (I'm going minimalistic, pruning all unnecessary stuff), I've
>>changed my machine.

> 	rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030212
>
> Very minimalistic I see :-) how pine or elm :-) or just good old 'mail'.

You got me there :)

>>It's a brand new powerbook g4, fast machine, lots of ram, lots of disks,
>>lots of stuff.
>

> Welcome to the club - but -why- did you have to buy a machine which is at
> least 3 times faster than anything we have :-) Making us yealus.

Because I worked on a PII 366 with 128mb of ram and 6Gb of disk and I
had to jump thru hoops for having things done on that machine. Now I
don't want to have to think about those things again for a while :)

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> As you probably noted from the fact that I don't have a signature
> anymore (I'm going minimalistic, pruning all unnecessary stuff), I've
> changed my machine.

	rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030212

Very minimalistic I see :-) how pine or elm :-) or just good old 'mail'.

> It's a brand new powerbook g4, fast machine, lots of ram, lots of disks,
> lots of stuff.

Welcome to the club - but -why- did you have to buy a machine which is at
least 3 times faster than anything we have :-) Making us yealus.

> Will report about build times ASAP.

Java is fine - but do not do httpd-2.0 just after you did 1.3; somehow
libtool on OS slows it down by an increadible amounth.

Dw.

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Stefano Mazzocchi" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...] I've
> changed my machine. It's a brand new powerbook g4, fast machine, lots of
> ram, lots of disks, lots of stuff.
> [...]
> I'm a switcha. I'm saying goodbye to microsoft stuff. And I'm happy
> about it.

Welcome to the party :-) Have fun! :-)

    Pier (jealous, Stefano got a P-Book 3 times faster than mine)

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Nils Mueller wrote:
> >> that's not for linux :)
> >

> > you're runnnig OS-X though, aren't you?
>
> Oh, yes, I am. But I think Stephan is not.

No, I'm not ;-) I prefer linux, it's for real men (I'm just joking ;-)).

Stephan.

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Nils Mueller wrote:
>> that's not for linux :)
>

> you're runnnig OS-X though, aren't you?

Oh, yes, I am. But I think Stephan is not.

S.

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Nils Mueller <nm...@virbus.de>.
> that's not for linux :)

you're runnnig OS-X though, aren't you?

Nils

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Nils Mueller wrote:
>> The only sad thing is there doesn't exist a jdk 1.4 for linux/PPC.
>

> time heals all wounds
>
> http://www.apple.com/java/

that's not for linux :)

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Nils Mueller <nm...@virbus.de>.
> The only sad thing is there doesn't exist a jdk 1.4 for linux/PPC.

time heals all wounds

http://www.apple.com/java/

greetz
Nils

Re: [ot] switcha

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> As you probably noted from the fact that I don't have a signature
> anymore (I'm going minimalistic, pruning all unnecessary stuff), I've
> changed my machine. It's a brand new powerbook g4, fast machine, lots of
> ram, lots of disks, lots of stuff.
>
> it will take some time to adjust to the new development environment,
> hopefully switching to eclipse for everything (including CVS).
>
> I'm a switcha. I'm saying goodbye to microsoft stuff. And I'm happy
> about it.

Welcome ;-) I love my
ibook2(http://vern.chem.tu-berlin.de/~stephan/ibook/mvc-0001.jpg).
I have also a Powerbook G4, but I prefer the ibook ;-)