Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com> on 1999/11/16 21:41:12 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tools/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Ant.java InvocationHelper.java Project.java Target.java Task.java XmlHelper.java

>   - Added a Ant.java - it does the same thing as Main.java, but
>   uses InvocationHelper and XMLHelper instead of ProjectHelper.
>   - Added few methods to Project, Task, etc - no change in existing methods.
>   ( needed to make them work with XMLHelper)

-1 on Ant.java -- we should keep the primary command line entry point at
Main.java. That way we can sanely add other entry points (like
GuiMain.java, etc.)

.duncan

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> Yes, I just don't want to break ant, it is too important to have it running
> to build tomcat :-)

This is why CVS has branches.. :)

But seriously -- From suggestions made here, and the need to massively
document the code -- and that I'm going to do some of it tonight -- by
splitting off the class and duplicating the code, we're going to have an
update mess on our hands... If all we had to do was merge branches, we'd
be better off.

> I tried hard to do all the changes without touching the existing code too
> much ( i.e add methods, but not remove or change ). I want to use the new
> Ant.java for a while and make sure it is ok before touching Main.java....
> ( I need the extra features to do some more tricks in building and exec).
>
> Can I keep it for 2 weeks ?

I'd rather you not. I would like to make sure that experimentation from
anybody happens on branches and that those branches get merged in when
they are ready.

.duncan

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> Yes, I just don't want to break ant, it is too important to have it running
> to build tomcat :-)

This is why CVX-Mozilla-Status: 0009

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> >   - Added a Ant.java - it does the same thing as Main.java, but
> >   uses InvocationHelper and XMLHelper instead of ProjectHelper.
> >   - Added few methods to Project, Task, etc - no change in existing methods.
> >   ( needed to make them work with XMLHelper)
>
> -1 on Ant.java -- we should keep the primary command line entry point at
> Main.java. That way we can sanely add other entry points (like
> GuiMain.java, etc.)

Yes, I just don't want to break ant, it is too important to have it running
to build tomcat :-)

I tried hard to do all the changes without touching the existing code too
much ( i.e add methods, but not remove or change ). I want to use the new
Ant.java for a while and make sure it is ok before touching Main.java....
( I need the extra features to do some more tricks in building and exec).

Can I keep it for 2 weeks ?

Costin