Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Yatong Zhang <bl...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/04 04:21:44 UTC

Is the updating compaction strategy from 'sized tiered' to 'leveled' automatic or need to be done manually?

Hi there,

I am updating compaction strategy from 'sized tiered' to 'leveled' and from
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/leveled-compaction-in-apache-cassandra it
is said:

When updating an existing column family, reads and writes can continue as
> usual while leveling of existing sstables is performed in the background.

But I still see many old sstables with very large size and an old file
date. So I am wondering is the updating of compaction done automatically?
If yes, is there an estimate of time it will take? If not, what's the steps
to do it manually?

I've googled a lot but can't find something helpful. Thanks for any
feedbacks and any help is of great appreciation.

Re: Is the updating compaction strategy from 'sized tiered' to 'leveled' automatic or need to be done manually? [heur]

Posted by Yatong Zhang <bl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply Viktor, but the whole cluster has been working all the
time and I am sure the cf got writes every second. I still don't see the
huge sstables being split into small ones

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com>.

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com>> wrote:
To trigger LCS you need to write to this CF and wait when new sstable flushes. I can’t find any other way to start LCS.

Best regards / Pagarbiai
Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com<ma...@adform.com>
Phone: +370 5 212 3063<tel:%2B370%205%20212%203063>, Fax +370 5 261 0453<tel:%2B370%205%20261%200453>

Posted by Yatong Zhang <bl...@gmail.com>.
I tried to run 'nodetool compact' (or with keyspace and cfname), seemed not
woking. The command hung there and nothing happened. But I noticed that
there was about more 30000+ pending tasks when using 'nodetool
compactionsats'

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Daniel Chia <da...@coursera.org>.
If you want to trigger a conversion to LCS of the on-disk sstables, doing
"nodetool compact <cf>" should achieve what you want.

Be warned, if you have a lot of data in the CF, this could potentially take
a while depending on your compaction throttling.

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted by Yatong Zhang <bl...@gmail.com>.