Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2008/10/21 17:18:30 UTC

Re: Java doc is Geronimo 2.0.1 API

I built and checked in the server 2.1.3 javadocs.  This seemed to be the
most expedient thing to do but there are some concerns:

#1 This is a huge amount of content to include in svn.  I think infra
will not be happy with us.
#2 Given #1, I debated deleting the 2.0.1 javadoc.  However, this won't
save anything given that svn must keep the history.  It will save anyone
from getting all of the 2.0.1 content if they check out the site trunk.
  What do you think, should we delete or keep 2.0.1 javadoc?
#3 Also given #1, it's probably a good thing that we haven't done this
for each release.  Perhaps we should just do this once for each major
version?  Thoughts?
#4 We had discussed using the maven generated site rather than
distributing this javadoc.  However that also presents some problems:
- Currently it doesn't build for tags/2.1.3 (at least not for me).
- When it does build, the javadoc is per module/project.  So rather than
a complete view of javadoc as with that just checked in you must first
navigate to the module of interest and then you can view the javadoc for
that module. This doesn't seem as useful to me.

I'm not sure if I want to take the time to investigate the mvn site
issues right now .... anybody else interested?

Joe

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I'm not really sure why the javadoc is checked into svn.  I was just
following the same process used for 2.0.1.  I suppose there is nothing
to prevent us from directly copying the content somewhere under
/www/geronimo.apache.org as we do for the maven generated sites.  That
certainly sounds more workable and won't get us in trouble with infra
(BTW, I did get tapped on the shoulder over this ... it apparently
really slowed down the sync process which I supposed would still be an
issue with a direct copy as well).

Joe

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joe!