Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Long <bi...@longboys.net> on 2000/12/04 22:02:06 UTC

Tomcat - mod_jk - Configuration : Need some help please

Hi folks,

Okay, I'm kind of new to this java stuff, so please bear with me. I think I have it almost done but have reached a stumbling block which I cannot resolve by searching through the archives.  I'm sure its a simple one, but It's got me stumped.

FOR---
Solaris 2.6
Apache 1.3.12
Tomcat 3.2
mod_jk
JDK 1.3

I have my apache set up to use virtual hosts.
I have the tomcat set up pretty much stock, with the exception that I added ajp13(i'm not using it in my apache configuration though) and I commented out the /examples, /admin, etc. now all i have in my server.xml file for context is

        <Context path="/java"
                 docBase ="/export/home/cci/public_html/java"
                 croseContext="true"
                 debug="0"
                 reloadable="true">
        </Context>

then in my httpd.conf file i have
<VirtualHost 111.111.111.111>
        ServerAdmin root@mydomain.com
        DocumentRoot /export/home/cci/public_html
        ServerName my.domain.com
        DirectoryIndex index.cgi index.pl index.html index.shtml
        <Directory /export/home/cci/public_html>
          Options All
        </Directory>

        <Directory /export/home/cci/public_html/cgi-bin>
          Options All
        </Directory>
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl
        ErrorLog /export/home/cci/public_html/logs/error_log
        TransferLog /export/home/cci/public_html/logs/access_log

   <Directory "/export/home/cci/public_html/java">
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
   </Directory>

  #
  # The following line mounts all JSP files and the /servlet/ uri to tomcat
  #
  JkMount /java/servlet/* ajp12
  JkMount /java/*.jsp ajp12
  #
  # The following line prohibits users from directly accessing WEB-INF
  #
  <Location "/java/WEB-INF/">
      AllowOverride None
      deny from all
  </Location>

  #
  # The following line prohibits users from directly accessing META-INF
  #
  <Location "/java/META-INF/">
      AllowOverride None
      deny from all
  </Location>

</VirtualHost>

If I http to my virtualhost:8080 the stock tomcat screen comes up.
If I http to my virtualhost:8080/java then I get the directory index of the /export/home/cci/public_html/java(as I would expect).

I have created a quick jsp to test my setup which just does the basic html tags and then does a
<% out.println("test") %>

if I go to http://my.domain.com/java i get the same directory listing as I would expect.

the problem is that when i click on test.jsp, i get the following output.(for either the servername:8080/java or the virtual host).

Error: 500

Location: /java/test.jsp

Internal Servlet Error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:399)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:166)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:498)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Root cause:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:128)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:245)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.doLoadJSP(JspServlet.java:462)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader12.loadJSP(JasperLoader12.java:146)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:433)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:152)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:164)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:318)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:391)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:166)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:416)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:498)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I checked my workers.properties and it appears to be all okay.  the tomcat_home and java_home are set correct.  I can run other java applications okay.

can anybody help me with this? I'm totally stumped and don't know where to look. I can't find that much documentation on setting up mod_jk with virtual hosts. I checked out the tomcat_apache howto and the minimalistic approact to setting up tomcat and all
the other docs that come with it.  I'm sure its just something simple i have missed somewhere.

any help would be most appreciated.

bill

Re: Using JAR files

Posted by "Michael H. La Budde" <mh...@prsft.com>.
At 12/5/2000 10:15 AM +0100, you wrote:
>I believe you have to put the full path of the jar-file including the
>filename in classpath......and not just the path  to the directory where
>the jar-file is located....

Nope. Simply put the jar file in the WEB-INF/lib directory (e.g.
<path-to-tomcat>/webapps/webappname/WEB-INF/lib/worthyorg.jar  and tomcat
will setup the classpath for your webapp to include it (and all jars you
put there)....

HTH,

Mike

Re: Using JAR files

Posted by Trond-Helge Groth <th...@proventus.no>.

Using JAR files

Posted by Bill Long <bi...@longboys.net>.
you are correct.

now..*sigh* i looked at the build.xml , wrapper.properties,
tomcat.properties, server.xml and a bunch of other files.  I saw lots of
places to set the classpath, but none of them worked.

I can set the classpath in an environment variable, but do you know where to
> [...]

> >if I go to http://my.domain.com/java i get the same directory listing as
> >would expect.
> >
> >the problem is that when i click on test.jsp, i get the following
> >output.(for either the servername:8080/java or the virtual host).
> >
> >Error: 500
> >
> >Location: /java/test.jsp
> >
> >Internal Servlet Error:
> >
> >javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:399)
> >         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:286)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)

7)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
> >         at

(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:166)
> >         at

> >         at

> >Root cause:
> >
> >java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
> >         at

org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:128)
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:245)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.doLoadJSP(JspServlet.java:462)
> >         at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader12.loadJSP(JasperLoader12.java:146)
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:433)
> >         at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:152)
> >         at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:164)
> >         at
> > org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:318)
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:391)
> >         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
> >         at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:286)
> >         at
> > org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
> >         at

7)

Posted by Mike La Budde <mi...@irista.com>.