Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2003/05/14 22:14:58 UTC

using userconfig.xml

I've moved this over to the fop-user list, as I think it's more
appropriate here...

Togan responded to my question about how to add hyphenation patterns to
FOP. I then asked:

>> Aside from HYPHENATION, FONTs & BASEDIR, how else can userconfig.xml
>> be used? Could it be used to specify/set the logger for command line
>> interface folks like myself?

Well, to answer my own question (how else can userconfig.xml be
modified...), it appears that SVG can be modified (from the FOP/Graphics
page):
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html

> It is possible to make sure that all text is drawn into PDF using the
> PDF text commands (instead of the graphical shapes), by adding the
> following to the user config:
>
> <entry>
>   <key>strokeSVGText</key>
>   <value>false</value>
> </entry>

BTW, I don't know what other options there are for modifying
userconfig.xml for improved/customized FOP output, but it looks like
this SVG entry might be better suited for display on the
FOP/Configuration page (http://xml.apache.org/fop/configuration.html)
(with a link from the FOP/Graphics.html#svg section:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/configuration.html

I guess the age old, should SVG-specific configuration information be
placed on the Configuration.html page (with a link to
configuration.html#svg), or on the Graphics page? The same would hold
true for FONTs...

I did a search of "entry key value" (without the quotes)
site:xml.apache.org, and only came up with SVG. I was shocked at not
finding a link to the configuration page, but alas that combination of
words are not on that page.

NOTE to Victor/DEV: although the information is in conf/userconfig.xml,
we might want to add an example XML entry showing how to add a
hyphenation pattern directory. Here's example copy:

To add the hyphenation directory (filled with all sorts of hyphenation
patterns such as the Klingon Hyphenation pattern) located at
/java/fop-0.20.4/hyph/, enter the following in the HYPHENATION section
of userconfig.xml:

   <entry>
     <key>hyphenation-dir</key>
     <value>/java/fop-0.20.4/hyph</value>
   </entry>

Have a nice day!

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

RE: using userconfig.xml

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Clay Leeds wrote:

> > What I have done with this is to show in a general way how to set the
> > key-value items in the configuration. Since they are all the same, it
> > doesn't seem to make sense to document all of them.
>
> Fine with me, although since there're only 3 or 4 different
> possibilities (I don't recall if there are others), it makes sense (to
> me) to provide an example of each.

True for the moment, probably not true for long.

> FWIW, the keys I am aware of are: baseDir, fontBaseDir, hyphenation-dir
> (shouldn't that be 'hyphenationDir', 'hyphDir' or 'hyphBaseDir'?). The

Probably. That's probably not going to get changed in the maintenance
branch, but will probably get fixed in the normal course of things with the
API changes coming in the trunk.

> fact that the latter is non-standard makes me think it would be better
> to provide an example for each. In my view, the best way to minimize the
> posting of FAQs to the list is to 'idiot-proof' (as much as possible)
> the userconfig.xml file itself, by giving as many examples as relevant.
> Practicing brevity in 'help' files may be counter-productive.

I *think* the way it is set up now will work fine. Part of what I am trying
to highlight is the massive *similarities* between the key-value entries,
which ought to reduce errors on another axis. I may be wrong. If so, we'll
change it later.

Victor Mote

Re: using userconfig.xml

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Victor,

On 7/10/2003 11:30 AM, Victor Mote wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote (a long time ago, May 14, 2003 to be exact):
>>I guess the age old, should SVG-specific configuration information be
>>placed on the Configuration.html page (with a link to
>>configuration.html#svg), or on the Graphics page? The same would hold
>>true for FONTs...
>
> First, I apologize for being so slow. I have now done (in CVS) most of what
> you have suggested here. Specifically, the configuration documentation now
> shows all of the configuration options, with detail where necessary (we can
> always add more later), and cross-references for items that are addressed in
> other parts of the doc (like fonts, and now, hyphenation).

Sounds good. Moving hyphenation to its own page appears to be a step in
the right direction, and should make it easier for people who're
interested to find the information. Great work!

>>NOTE to Victor/DEV: although the information is in conf/userconfig.xml,
>>we might want to add an example XML entry showing how to add a
>>hyphenation pattern directory. Here's example copy:
>>
>>To add the hyphenation directory (filled with all sorts of hyphenation
>>patterns such as the Klingon Hyphenation pattern) located at
>>/java/fop-0.20.4/hyph/, enter the following in the HYPHENATION section
>>of userconfig.xml:
>>
>>   <entry>
>>     <key>hyphenation-dir</key>
>>     <value>/java/fop-0.20.4/hyph</value>
>>   </entry>
>
> What I have done with this is to show in a general way how to set the
> key-value items in the configuration. Since they are all the same, it
> doesn't seem to make sense to document all of them.

Fine with me, although since there're only 3 or 4 different
possibilities (I don't recall if there are others), it makes sense (to
me) to provide an example of each.

FWIW, the keys I am aware of are: baseDir, fontBaseDir, hyphenation-dir
(shouldn't that be 'hyphenationDir', 'hyphDir' or 'hyphBaseDir'?). The
fact that the latter is non-standard makes me think it would be better
to provide an example for each. In my view, the best way to minimize the
posting of FAQs to the list is to 'idiot-proof' (as much as possible)
the userconfig.xml file itself, by giving as many examples as relevant.
Practicing brevity in 'help' files may be counter-productive.

> Look for these changes to be on the live site sometime in the next 24 hours.
>
> Victor Mote

That's great! I'm looking forward to the magic moment when I can see all
of your hard work in all its glory, LIVE. ;)

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

RE: using userconfig.xml

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.