Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/10/01 00:21:42 UTC

Why does Genesis depend on o.a.apache v2 not v3?

Hi,

Is there anything the prevents us from upgrading Genesis to o.a.apache
v3? I don't know the difference between the versions, though. If
there's not, I'd bump it up.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Why does Genesis depend on o.a.apache v2 not v3?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Um... lemme think about it... I thought it was already setup in that
manner, w/the exception of duplicating the DM section in the root pom.

--jason

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I am not talking about just the distributionManagement bits, I am
talking about all of the shared configuration for the build.

The initial idea was to have all (and I mean all) of that
configuration is one (and only one) place.

The bits were duplicated in the genesis root pom only because it
needed to publish too.  And in retrospect I should have never added
the apache parent to the genesis root pom... and then we might not be
having this conversation :-P

Anyways, when you are done changing genesis let me know and I will do
a quick sanity check and then re-publish them.

Thanks,

--jason

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
You need to change project-config as well.

And probably now need to use the same id style, '.' instead of '-'
with all of the other repos to keep things consistent.

  * * *

I still think this was a bad idea (to pick use the apache pom) but if
you are willing to do the foot work to clean up to make things
consistent...

This does add another layer of configuration indirection, which IMO
is not a good thing, but hopefully the config in the apache pom is
gonna remain stable and that apache won't go moving repo locations
again anytime soon.

--jason

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 10/1/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> Would you like to fix it then?  IMO it is not worth the effort.  And
> I would rather have the config all in one place anyways, so it is
> clear to comprehend and not need to go dig around for whats in the
> latest apache pom.

Done.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
We'd have to define a distributionManagement anyways to set the site
location.

I was not even aware that the apache pom changed from 2 to 3 until
you mentioned it.

I think we should just remove it from the equation.  Its not useful
enough warrant the extra pom check and maintenance to keep our poms
updated with it.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by ja...@gmail.com.