Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by decoder <de...@own-hero.net> on 2006/08/03 14:47:54 UTC

RBL with Spamassassin works, but spamc/spamd don't use it

Hello,

Recently I installed some rbl rules, using DNS, enabled rbl checks in
the config etc. It all works fine with spamassassin < message. I see
several scores from blacklists, so it is working.

The problem is, spamc/spamd don't use these rules, they simply ignore
rbl for the same kind of spam. I've restarted spamd and verified that it
isn't set to local tests only.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance

Christian Holler

Re: RBL with Spamassassin works, but spamc/spamd don't use it - solved

Posted by Bill Maidment <bi...@maidment.com.au>.
John Andersen wrote:
> On Friday 04 August 2006 02:07, Bill Maidment wrote:
>

>> Thanks. I've done that (see attached). I'm not running razor and nothing
>> else seems to jump out at me. Any more ideas?
>>

> Ooops, found your attachment.  Nothing obvious.
> Grab a real spam and send it thru spamassassin  <spam.txt
> Then run the same thru spamd.  See if scores match.
>
> If not, just replace spamd with spamassassin in your procmail or whatever
> you use for local delivery.  See if that helps.
>
> see if you have more than one copy of spamd around.  Like in the wrong
> directory.
>
> Run spamd -h
> and see if its the right version.

Ooops for me too. I'd made two mistakes.
1. I'm running mimedefang, so spamd is irrelevant to my problem as it is
the mimdefang daemon that is handling the email.
2. I'd accidentally deleted the $SALocalTestsOnly = 0; line in my
mimedefang-filter.

Many thanks for your help. At least I've learnt a bit about debugging
spamassassin in the process.
Cheers

--
Bill Maidment
Maidment Enterprises Pty Ltd

si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es

Re: RBL with Spamassassin works, but spamc/spamd don't use it

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Friday 04 August 2006 02:07, Bill Maidment wrote:

> Thanks. I've done that (see attached). I'm not running razor and nothing
> else seems to jump out at me. Any more ideas?

Ooops, found your attachment.  Nothing obvious.
Grab a real spam and send it thru spamassassin  <spam.txt
Then run the same thru spamd.  See if scores match.

If not, just replace spamd with spamassassin in your procmail or whatever
you use for local delivery.  See if that helps.

see if you have more than one copy of spamd around.  Like in the wrong
directory.

Run spamd -h
and see if its the right version.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: RBL with Spamassassin works, but spamc/spamd don't use it

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Friday 04 August 2006 02:07, Bill Maidment wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Friday 04 August 2006 00:57, Bill Maidment wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> I've got a similar problem. I've just moved from a 32 bit AMD to a 64
> >> bit AMD for my external mail server and now the rbls don't trigger. I'm
> >> not using -L as the following from ps shows.
> >> 27386 ?        Ss     0:05 /usr/bin/spamd -d -q -x -m5 -H -r
> >> /var/run/spamd.pid
> >
> > spamassassin --lint --debug
> >
> > And read it carefully where it starts mentioning razor2 and
> > spamcop etc.

> Thanks. I've done that (see attached). I'm not running razor and nothing
> else seems to jump out at me. Any more ideas?

Your attachment was stripped.  But Its late and I don't have time
now anyway.

Check into the bits about Net::DNS, etc.

BTW:  You should use razor.  Its so accurate, that you can score it 5, and
not worry.  It catches quite a bit.  It misses some too, but the other rules
get those.  Razor helped me a lot.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: RBL with Spamassassin works, but spamc/spamd don't use it

Posted by Bill Maidment <bi...@maidment.com.au>.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Bill Maidment <bi...@maidment.com.au>.
John Andersen wrote:
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 04:47, decoder wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently I installed some rbl rules, using DNS, enabled rbl checks in
>> the config etc. It all works fine with spamassassin < message. I see
>> several scores from blacklists, so it is working.
>>
>> The problem is, spamc/spamd don't use these rules, they simply ignore
>> rbl for the same kind of spam. I've restarted spamd and verified that it
>> isn't set to local tests only.
>>

> Sounds like spamd was started with -L
> This is a favorite SuSE trick.  If running SuSE see /etc/sysconfig/spamd
> If running something else, check what starts spamd.  Also view
> you /var/log/messages as spamd starts because some distros put
> spamd in strange places and you end up running the old one, not the new
> one.

Hi
I've got a similar problem. I've just moved from a 32 bit AMD to a 64
bit AMD for my external mail server and now the rbls don't trigger. I'm
not using -L as the following from ps shows.
27386 ?        Ss     0:05 /usr/bin/spamd -d -q -x -m5 -H -r
/var/run/spamd.pid

I've got another 32 bit AMD for the internal mail server with identical
setup and the rbls trigger on that one.

sa-mimedefang.cf has
skip_rbl_checks 0
dns_available yes

Any clues where to start looking?
Cheers

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 02:47:54PM +0200, decoder wrote:
> The problem is, spamc/spamd don't use these rules, they simply ignore
> rbl for the same kind of spam. I've restarted spamd and verified that it
> isn't set to local tests only.

Can you define "isn't set to local tests only" ?   Usually this type of
problem is caused by running spamd with -L.

Otherwise, (standard answer) run spamd with -D and see what it says.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"'Don't NOT follow the directions' seems unnecessary to state."