Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Alex Ausch <al...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/19 20:51:28 UTC

running Zookeeper as a service on top of google app engine

hey all,

i've been playing with a zookeeper instance, set up on top of a kubernettes
cluster in google app engine, and i'm wondering if anyone else has spun up
and maintained a solid prod deploy there, and what it looks like

for context, my initial experiments have been riffs on this blog post:

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/04/taming-the-herd-using-Zookeeper-and-Exhibitor-on-Google-Container-Engine.html

thanks,

~ alex

Re: running Zookeeper as a service on top of google app engine

Posted by al...@alastair-munro.com.
On 2017-10-19 21:51, Alex Ausch wrote:
> hey all,
>
> i've been playing with a zookeeper instance, set up on top of a
> kubernettes
> cluster in google app engine, and i'm wondering if anyone else has spun
> up
> and maintained a solid prod deploy there, and what it looks like
>
> for context, my initial experiments have been riffs on this blog post:
>
> https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/04/taming-the-herd-using-Zookeeper-and-Exhibitor-on-Google-Container-Engine.html
>
> thanks,
>
> ~ alex

Hi Alex,

I am running it on openshift which is kubernetes with lots of additional
features from Redhat. We are using it for kafka and we are using the
dynamic reconfiguration feature in 3.5.x, which works really nice. The
trick is to use k8s statefulsets. You might have to unravel the
openshift templates; in effect its just parameterized k8s metadata.
Docker images, etc, here:
https://github.com/spicysomtam/openshift-kafka/tree/master/images/zookeeper.

Alastair Munro
Devops Engineer