Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Elad Messing <el...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/05 10:53:40 UTC

Design note - Building a template mechanism

Hello All !
	I am now in the design phase of the web-application I am working on.
	The application will have a fixed structure - header, footer,
content in the middle, and menu on the side - and I am looking for the best
practice to build this template mechanism in Cocoon.

	I have found in the wiki this page
:http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/TemplateBasedWebSite but - It is from 10.2003
- and mention working with version 2.0.4.
	I was wondering whether this is still a best practice or maybe a new
better feature allows for another practice - which is better. (might be that
the Xinclude is involved ? Not sure)..

	Thanks in advance.

Elad Messing

Re: AW: AW: AW: Design note - Building a template mechanism

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
 hi

i have update this wiki page
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/TemplateBasedWebSite

now there is an new sample as attachement

regards

stavros

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 gounis@osmosis.gr wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Elad Messing wrote:
>
> >  Hi again.
> > 	I have added the fixes. I am not sure that they are all correct, as I am quite a newbie.. They do however make it work :)
> > 	Feel free to remove what is not needed.
> >
> > 	Hope it will help somebody someday - like it helped me..
> >
> > Elad
>
> thnx
>
> i'll post the link for the demo site in this thread
> afternoon
>

> --stavros

Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: Design note - Building a template mechanism

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Elad Messing wrote:

> Hello again, stavros
> 	Another question in relation to the new Othello example.
>
> 	I can see that you divided all of the content in localelized directories (c_en and c_el).
> 	Then, in the pipe line you use the locale to build the path for the content, and right after it you translate this locale specific content xhtml file :
>
>         <map:match pattern="xml/*.*">
>           <map:generate src="c_{../locale}/{1}.{2}"/>
>           <map:transform type="i18n">
>             <map:parameter name="locale" value="{../locale}"/>
>           </map:transform>
>

> 	Now - I was wondering why :
> 	1. You divide the content to localized sub directories. Isn't one "xhtml" file, with translation tags enough ? Do you expect that the layout will change because of different locale ?
> 	2. If you already did divide between the directories, why did you use the translator transformer ? I mean - each file is already declared as part of a specific locale, so why not just have the text embedded ?
>
> 	I hope I do not ask dumb questions :)
>
> Elad

hi elad

first of all i have to say that Othello is not in production-ready product
rather some code snips and ideas. so you are welcome to contribute your
ideas :-)

now the answers

2.
the only reason that localized directories and i18n transformer exist in
the same match pattern is because some times i have the same content file
(with i18n tags) copied in all _locale_ directories

1.
when the amount of translations is not so big then i use i18n, but when i
have to do with whole pages i use different files

-stavros

Posted by Elad Messing <el...@gmail.com>.
I understand.