Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Don Smith <ds...@likewise.com> on 2011/10/05 20:09:36 UTC

Question about sharding of rows and atomicity

Does Cassandra shard the columns of a single row across multiple nodes
so that to read the columns of the row it may need access to multiple
nodes?   I'd say "no."   Will a read from a given node ever return
partial results or is the write to a node of a row atomic?

  Thanks, Don

Re: Question about sharding of rows and atomicity

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Don Smith <ds...@likewise.com> wrote:
> Does Cassandra shard the columns of a single row across multiple nodes so
> that to read the columns of the row it may need access to multiple nodes?
> I'd say "no."

Correct.

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#batch_mutate_atomic

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Question about sharding of rows and atomicity

Posted by Konstantin Naryshkin <ko...@a-bb.net>.
Cassandra does not break apart a row. All of the columns of a row are kept on the same nodes.

I believe that writing multiple columns of the same row is transactional, but not atomic. By which I mean that if one column is written all the other ones will be written as well, but if a read happens while the write is being done it is possible that only some of the columns will have the new values.