Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Praveen Peddi <pp...@contextmedia.com> on 2004/07/23 17:27:32 UTC

merge factor and minMergeDocs

Is anything changed lucene 1.4 regarding mergefactor?
I recently ported to lucene 1.4 final and my indexing time doesnot change with change in the merge factor. Increasing minMergeDocs is improving my indexing as expected but changing mergefactor is making no difference.

If this is the case, I can always go with the default merge factor of 10 so I won't run into too many files open problem. But just vary minMergeDocs to tune the indexing perf.

Currently I tested with 25K objects and the indexing time is almost the same with mergefactor 10 and mergefactor of 100 (kept minMergeDocs =100 in both cases). I am confident that my indexing time used to vary with change in the merge factor before (with lucene 1.3 RC3 I think).

Praveen
Praveen Peddi
Sr Software Engg, Context Media, Inc.
email:ppeddi@contextmedia.com
Tel:  401.854.3475
Fax:  401.861.3596
web: http://www.contextmedia.com
Context Media- "The Leader in Enterprise Content Integration"