Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org> on 2018/08/08 16:35:16 UTC

[vfs] new http4 provider, not replace http?

Hi,

I'm trying to contribute for VFS-360. What a nice ticket number!
After a brief look, I'm considering to add a new provider in a
separate package, 'http4' (based on HttpComponents HttpClient),
keeping the old one, 'http' (based on the old Commons HttpClient),
as-is. The reason is that I don't want to break any public methods of
the http provider package in v2.x range.

BTW, Apache Camel has a similar concept: http component with v3 and
http4 component with v4. [1]
A difference is we need one more equivalent to the old 'https', like
'http4s'. It sounds a bit weird though.

Any insights?

Woonsan

[1] http://camel.apache.org/components.html

Re: [vfs] new http4 provider, not replace http?

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

I've just posted a PR for VFS-687 (with HttpClient *5*).
When you have some time, please take a review.

Thanks!

Woonsan

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Thanks again, Gary!

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:02 AM Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 9:54 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Woonsan,
> >
> > I've applied the patch as is and all it well. Thank you!
>
> Thank you very much!
>

> > Food for thought: We should also consider HttpClient *5* which just
> > released its second beta (I am helping there as well.)
> >
> > If you feel like adding another provider for HttpClient 5 Beta 2 (it is
> in
> > a different package as the API is different), that would give us the most
> > flexibility perhaps.
>
> I do. I'll try it out and hopefully submit a pull request with a new
> JIRA ticket some day.
>

> > At some point in the future we can decide which provide would be mapped
> > "http" and "https".
> >
> > To that end, I wonder if the current "http" provider based on HttpClient
> 3
> > should be repackaged as "http3" so that we can create the underlying
> toggle
> > and test it.
>
> It seems already possible IIUC:
> - StandardFileSystemManager's parsing logic on providers.xml allows a
> provider to register multiple schemes. For example, JarFileProvider
> has already registered itself with jar, jar, ear, etc.
> - So, we may set the schemes for the current default HttpFileProvider
> (HTTPClient3 based) to both "http3" and "http". "http3s" and "https"
> for the corresponding one accordingly.
> - At some moment later, when deciding which one to be the default
> "http" or "https" provider, we can simply change the providers.xml.
>
> I will submit another simple PR to set the default ones to [ "http3",
> "http" ] and [ "http3s", "https" ] soon.
>
> Am I in the right track?

I think so :-)

Gary

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Woonsan,

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Bernd / Experts,

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your remarks. Please see my comments inline below.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am for http4. In the begining it wont be maped in the StandardManager but can be changed later on.
Sounds good to me.

> I do wonder if we can get rid of a Special https Provider and have only one (http4) which can handle both Kinds of URLs… not quite sure, what do you think?
From user's perspective, it seems better to keep 'https' separately