Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by sunnyfr <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/03 16:47:31 UTC

Re: XML vs mysql import with DataImportHandler

Hi Shalin,
*
I would like to know if you just used batchsize = -1.
When I do that I use all Mysql's memory and it's a problem for the database
and other process on it like update insert ...
It will keep my database busy for 10hours, it's too much, is there a way to
manage it differently ?

Thanks a lot,

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
The attribute name is batchSize="-1" (it is case sensitive) . Tjis
ensures that Mysql driver fetcches row by row
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandlerFaq

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:17 PM, sunnyfr <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Shalin,
> *
> I would like to know if you just used batchsize = -1.
> When I do that I use all Mysql's memory and it's a problem for the database
> and other process on it like update insert ...
> It will keep my database busy for 10hours, it's too much, is there a way to
> manage it differently ?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>

> Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rusli,
>>
>> Without going into specifics, I can tell you that we're using
>> DataImportHandler successfully in production with many millions of
>> documents
>> being imported from databases. Try it out and let us know if you face any
>> problems. DataImportHandler will be part of Solr 1.3 (the next release)
>> and
>> may be committed quite soon after which you may not need to fiddle with
>> patches.
>>
>> Disclaimer: Since I'm one of the developers, I may be biased :)
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Rusli Ruslakall
>> <ru...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to see what people think about using DataImportHandler and
>>> importing directly from mysql rather than with XML.
>>>
>>> I have already programmed mysql -> XML in PHP and configured Solr to
>>> import it when I realized I could use DataImportHandler and skip the
>>> XML stage. Are there any negatives of using DataImportHandler? I would
>>> have to use the patch that complicates the process I guess when its
>>> kind of tempting to try to use Solr as much vanilla as possible.
>>>
>>> What is the general method when using database information?
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

--Noble Paul