Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by Liu Yu Ting <li...@willowglen.com.sg> on 2001/07/11 14:12:23 UTC

Proxy Server

Hi, there,

    I have a problem on the proxy function of apache server.

    I am setting up apache 1.3.12 on Openbsd 2.7.

     On my Proxy server which connect to internet, both root and normal user
can surf the internet. But problem happen on my local PC. After I set the
Proxy server address and port on my local PC's browser, I found it always
shows the document under /var/www/htdocs whatever internet web address I
want to surf. I check the /var/www/logs/access_logs. It's OK that return
code is 200 though it always will find the /var/www/htdocs/image's gif file
and says OK also. (Pls. see my accesslog and errorlog file attached.)

    Same thing has happened when I surf the internet as the local user on
proxy server and solved after I remove the ~local-user/.netscape directory
(cache directory).

    Is there something wrong? Somebody said the proxy server is not enabled
default in apache software so I have to recompile with some special
parameter.

    Thanks! I hope I have subscribed to the right mail-list.

Regards!

Yu Ting

Re: Proxy Server

Posted by Liu Yu Ting <li...@willowglen.com.sg>.
Thank you all!

The Openbsd 2.7 need to built in the mod_proxy in the Apache server manully.
I have checked with them. After this is done, my proxy server is working.

I also need to specify the users who can access the server in the
configuration file.

Regards!

Yu Ting
Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Re: Proxy Server

Posted by Liu Yu Ting <li...@willowglen.com.sg>.
Thank you!

> >      On my Proxy server which connect to internet, both root and normal
user
>  > can surf the internet. But problem happen on my local PC. After I set
the
>  > Proxy server address and port on my local PC's browser, I found it
always
>  > shows the document under /var/www/htdocs whatever internet web address
>  > want to surf. I check the /var/www/logs/access_logs. It's OK that
return
>  > code is 200 though it always will find the /var/www/htdocs/image's gif
file
>  > and says OK also. (Pls. see my accesslog and errorlog file attached.)
>  >

> Um, the accesslog and errorlog are somewhat insufficient to determine
> the cause of your error. An httpd.conf file, and a slight explanation
> of what you are attempting to do would be nice.
>
> I assume, however, that you are trying to use Apache simply as a proxy
> server on an internal network for security purposes.
> To begin, have you check the docs?
> Do you have "ProxyRequests On" in your conf file?

Pls. see my configuration file attached.

I only want to use Apache as a forward proxy server. All of my local PCs
connect to this proxy server and has to go through this server to surf the
internet. What I feel strange is:

1. If I login on the proxy server itself,  the surfing is successful.

2. When surf from my local PC, the accesslog file shows that surfing is
successful (return code is 200), then it keep on looking for
/var/www/htdocs's image file and says successful (return code 200), and end
with unsuccessful to one address (404). No matter what address I surf, the
access result is the same except the first line of information says surfing
to according address is successful, and the rest informations are the same.

    On my local PC, when I bring up the browser, it says that it is opening
page http://www.yahoo.com. After 2 seconds it change to my local web page on
my webserver.

>  >     Same thing has happened when I surf the internet as the local user
on
>  > proxy server and solved after I remove the ~local-user/.netscape
directory
>  > (cache directory).
>  >

> This sounds like a Netscape cache problem, and is likely unrelated.
>
>  >     Is there something wrong? Somebody said the proxy server is not
enabled
>  > default in apache software so I have to recompile with some special
>  > parameter.
>
> If you compiled Apache yourself, I would expect that you would have
> enabled the proxy. If you did not, most binary builds come with the
> proxy built as a part of the server, either as a DSO or built-in.
>
> I believe this to simply be a configuration issue.

This apache is not compiled by me. It comes with Openbsd opeating system
itself.

> As an aside to members on the list, we may need a separate list to
> deal with proxy configuration issues, as mod-proxy-dev is not the
> place for this sort of query.

Is there any mail-list for our Apached users to share the experience of
Apache installaiton, configuration...? I feel it will be beneficial for the
application and development of the Apache server.

Sorry for disturbing again!

Yu Ting

Re: Proxy Server

Posted by "Victor J. Orlikowski" <v....@gte.net>.