Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "C.A.T.Magic" <c....@gmx.at> on 2004/04/02 16:14:12 UTC

Re: Roadmap for 1.1 (locking)

Jay Glanville wrote:

>>lockingplan.txt when I
>>shared/advisory
>>against them or the
>>
>>I have a question on locking and svn in general:
>>when locking a single file, you would only lock
>>
>>for example
>>
>>   /trunk/foo.txt
>>
>>but all other branches that contain this file
>>
>>   /bar/Branch01/foo.txt
>>   /bar/Branch02/foo.txt
>>
>>would remain unlocked, since svn is unable
>>to detect that these are branches and are related.
>>
>>Or do I misunderstand that?
>

> Correct.  That is my common usage of locking in other SCM systems.  The
> primary purpose of locking is to prevent collisions.  Editing the same
> file in two different branches doesn't cause a collision.

but how will this work if the locking is intended to prevent collisions
between unmergable binary files?

======
c.a.t.

Re: Roadmap for 1.1 (locking)

Posted by "C.A.T.Magic" <c....@gmx.at>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:

> Locking is intended to prevent collisions between multiple
> modifications of the same unmergable binary file, not 'svn merge'
> operations across different ones.  "Merge" has too many meanings in
> VC.

    which 'context' does 'the same file' imply
    when talking about locking?
-) is a lock limited to a specific repostory url,
    or does/should it include branches of a file?
-) can a file be 'copied' while locked?
    it probably should, because copying *is* tagging
    and a locked file should still be tag-able.
-) same question for renames,
    property edits, file moves, deletes, etc...
-) if a file is locked, will 'update' produce a
    local file that has the *readonly flag* set
    so an editor will discover the lock immediatedly?

.. i've read your locking-plan but found
    no answers to this yet.

:-)
c.a.t.

Re: Roadmap for 1.1 (locking)