Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org> on 2004/08/03 10:30:39 UTC

Slide 3.0 long term plans

Hi folks,
I've started a thread for discussions about architectural changes in
Slide 3.0 some time ago. What about moving this to the Wiki to have a
centralized point for further discussions?

Beside this I've thought about the following:
As Slide 3.0 will introduce some major changes that will lead to Slide
level api incompatibilites, I'd vote for setting up a new CVS module for
Slide 3.0 as tomcat is doing the same for major versions. This would
give us the chance to set up a clean directory structure that reflects
our increased wisdom.
As the Slide subprojects are big ones (server,clientlib,
commandlineclient, testsuite, projector,...) it might also be a choice
to split them into different cvs modules. What do you think about this?
This would lead to the question if we should try to shift Slide to
apache top level (webdav.apache.org) to give the users a better
understanding what Slide is all about and to simplify the access to the
different subprojects. Remind that the testsuite, the client or
projector are not tied to Slide, they work with every WebDAV-compliant
server.
As stated in the subject of this mail, this are long term plans. But we
should start to think about the way to go now as there is a lot of
administrative work to be done to achieve this.

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino schrieb:

>>As Slide 3.0 will introduce some major changes that will lead to Slide
>>level api incompatibilites, I'd vote for setting up a new CVS module for
>> Slide 3.0 as tomcat is doing the same for major versions. This would
>>give us the chance to set up a clean directory structure that reflects
>>our increased wisdom.
>>As the Slide subprojects are big ones (server,clientlib,
>>commandlineclient, testsuite, projector,...) it might also be a choice
>>to split them into different cvs modules. What do you think about this?
>>This would lead to the question if we should try to shift Slide to
>>apache top level (webdav.apache.org) to give the users a better
>>understanding what Slide is all about and to simplify the access to the
>>different subprojects.
>>

>I know I don't quite belong here, but just wanted to throw my .2 cents
>with a couple of thoughts:
>
>1. I'd be glad to see Slide grow as a TLP, but wouldn't webdav.apache.org
>be somehow limiting, given that Slide isn't just a webdav server (JCRRI
>being the first and foremost feature beyond webdav)? Also, it might clash
>with mod_dav somehow...

Slide is more than just the server, it contains different subprojects
dedicated to WebDAV. So I'd still the idea of having a TLP called webdav...

>2. Isn't it a good time for webdav folks to move to Subversion? :-) You
>have no idea on how it made my life easier: apart from being generally
>better, faster and nicer, as a roadwarrior, I have to painfully grab CVS
>snapshot whenever I get to an open Internet access. When I'm behind a
>nasty firewall, and it happens quite frequently, I'm relieved to know that
>I can always access the latest versions of the sources via plain HTTP.

Yes, good idea as subversion is also using WebDAV/DeltaV as it's
protocol :-)

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

--
Gianugo

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.
We could take the following steps to bring things to light:
- Finishing the JSR-170 RI (including versioning, searching...)
There should be people around who are willing to help if they know that
the Slide project hosts the ri.
- Cleaning up the WebDAV layer
Currently the Slide webdav-layer is containing not only the request
parsing and response generation, but also some webdav specific logic.
The WebDAV can be cleaned and speeded up by separating the marshalling
from the logic. I started to design some interfaces that represent the
webdav-methods on java level.
By implementing these interfaces we could generate a layer of
abstraction that will make it much easier to map webdav-calls to the
jcrri. This would be a hard task with the current code.
These two steps can be done simultaneous.

When these steps are done we can check out how to build the full
webdav-layer of top of jcrri. If this task fails, no work is lost as we
can use both the jcrri and the cleaned up Slide code in future.

Another approach would be to use the jcrri as a Slide store, but this
would lead into trouble as we get inconsitencies when accessing the data
via both webDAV and jcr-170 api.
So I'd vote for the first approach.

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.

RE: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by laurent belmonte <la...@aliacom.fr>.
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 14:44 +0200, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> Daniel Florey wrote:
>
> > Yes, I've seen this and it looks very promising. But as far as I can
> > tell, it will be much more complicated to build the deltaV, acl,
> > transaction, notification and dasl specs on top of jsr-170.
>
> it's certainly not trivial but i don't see why it shouldn't be possible.
> all required building blocks are there in JSR 170: versioning (closely
> sync'ed with JSR 147), observation, JTA support, observation, search...

acl ?

RE: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.

RE: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Daniel Florey <df...@apache.org>.
Unico Hommes schrieb:

> Daniel Florey wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I've started a thread for discussions about architectural changes in
>> Slide 3.0 some time ago. What about moving this to the Wiki to have a
>> centralized point for further discussions?
>>
>> Beside this I've thought about the following:
>> As Slide 3.0 will introduce some major changes that will lead to
>> Slide level api incompatibilites, I'd vote for setting up a new CVS
>> module for Slide 3.0 as tomcat is doing the same for major versions.
>> This would give us the chance to set up a clean directory structure
>> that reflects our increased wisdom.
>> As the Slide subprojects are big ones (server,clientlib,
>> commandlineclient, testsuite, projector,...) it might also be a
>> choice to split them into different cvs modules. What do you think
>> about this?
>> This would lead to the question if we should try to shift Slide to
>> apache top level (webdav.apache.org) to give the users a better
>> understanding what Slide is all about and to simplify the access to
>> the different subprojects. Remind that the testsuite, the client or
>> projector are not tied to Slide, they work with every
>> WebDAV-compliant server.
>> As stated in the subject of this mail, this are long term plans. But
>> we should start to think about the way to go now as there is a lot of
>> administrative work to be done to achieve this.
>>

> Personally, I would love to see a webdav TLP. As you note there is
> enough stuff in Slide to account for it. Regardless of whether or not
> we decide to push for a TLP I think it would be good to move to
> subversion. Many Apache projects already did the migration.
>
> Regarding the evolution of the Slide webdav server, I think we should
> adopt jcrri to build version 3.0 on. This will also attract a lot of
> different people to the project and thus be a great community builder.

This would be great if jcrri would provide all requirements to build a
WebDAV layer on top of it (including all the current drafts). As see
slide as a bunch of java software related to WebDAV. If we could achieve
this using jcrri I'd vote for it. Stefan (currently working on the
jcrri) stated in his mails that there might be some problems regarding
the content model.
We have to investigate, which api will match best (jsr-147 or jsr-170 or
something totally different...)

Daniel

Re: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.

RE: Slide 3.0 long term plans

Posted by Michael Oliver <ol...@sourceonenet.com>.
Although not a formal voter this gets my +1

Michael Oliver
CTO
Alarius Systems LLC
3325 N. Nellis Blvd, #1