Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com> on 2013/09/02 10:59:54 UTC

Re: open office vers 4

     Hi Dale,

On 30.08.2013 17:56, Dale Erwin wrote:
> On 8/30/2013 3:32 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>>     Hi Dale,
>>
>> On 29.08.2013 21:14, Dale Erwin wrote:
>>> I've never had it crash on me either, but it has other shortcomings.
>>> For me, the deal-breaker was some sort of bug in pdf export.  On
>>> second thought, I guess what happens during pdf export is indeed a
>>> "crash".  Every time I try to export my document with "PDF/A-1a"
>>> selected, I get a message from Windows (Win 7) saying that Open
>>> Office has stopped working.
>>
>> This is an important thing. Do we have a bug report for this? Is it
>> repeatable?
>> It will not be fixed when it's not properly reported. Developers
>> eventually read in this user group, but better let them use their
>> time to fix tasks. Thus, your very welcome and important donation to
>> the project would be to write a bug report, maybe with examples.
>> Please check before if there already is one. If yes, please mention
>> the BugID when talking about it (as here).
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> I have never made a bug report before.  How do I do it?

First, thanks for keeping us informed. You can register for Bugzilla:
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ and then write a task there.
If you have or can create a reduced example I can also do that for you,
when I can reproduce it here, see below.

> I have tried it at least a half dozen times always with the same
> results.  If I deselect "PDF/A-1a" it exports without crashing. If I
> select "PDF/A-1a" it crashes during export.
>
> As far as attaching the offending document, it is a master document
> with 44 sub documents, a total of 566 pages when fully expanded. Seems
> that would be a lot of files to attach.

This is of course too much for a task in bugzilla. Often it is possible
to reduce examples for tasks to relevant parts, in this case to the part
which causes the crash. Do you have a hint which part crashes? Does that
pasr alone crash? Maybe you have a simple example for the crash? Maybe
someone else has one (many people are reading here). If yes, please,
speak up!
You may isolate the problematic part retalively quick if it's possible
to split your example always in two halfs, thus getting to a small
example relatively quickly.

> Earlier, someone posted a link to a bug report concerning PDF export
> from Print Preview.  I have no idea if this is the same bug or not.

To ensure this or to find out we will need your reduced example, too, no
way around ;-)

Sincerely,
     Armin
--
ALG

Re: open office vers 4

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hey, Dale,

On 03.09.2013 06:56, Dale Erwin wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 11:50 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:
>> On 9/2/2013 3:59 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>>>     Hi Dale,

>>> First, thanks for keeping us informed. You can register for
>>> Bugzilla: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ and then write a task there.
>>> If you have or can create a reduced example I can also do that for
>>> you, when I can reproduce it here, see below.

>>> This is of course too much for a task in bugzilla. Often it is
>>> possible to reduce examples for tasks to relevant parts, in this
>>> case to the part which causes the crash. Do you have a hint which
>>> part crashes? Does that pasr alone crash? Maybe you have a simple
>>> example for the crash? Maybe someone else has one (many people are
>>> reading here). If yes, please, speak up!
>>> You may isolate the problematic part retalively quick if it's
>>> possible to split your example always in two halfs, thus getting to
>>> a small example relatively quickly.

>>> To ensure this or to find out we will need your reduced example,
>>> too, no way around ;-)
>>
>> OK, I copied all the files to a test folder (btw, I was mistaken,
>> there are 49 sub files).  If I open the master document without
>> expanding the sub files, it will export successfully.  Any one of the
>> sub files will export successfully (well, I didn't try every one of
>> them, but several).  I deleted all the sub files from the navigator
>> except for two which are only 2 pages each, so there are a total of
>> only 6 pages, and it crashes just as before.  Is that sufficiently
>> abbreviated?
>>
> Unless I don't  understand the process, it seems to me that it is only
> possible to attach one file to the bug report.  Therefore I did not
> submit the bug.  I need to submit three files.  I imagine I could
> also  do it with only two files, but that is still more than one.

Yes, that sounds good. Just zip them to one file and use it as
attachment for a bug report. You can e.g. write the bug report and add
any number of files later, but just adding one is simpler (the zip
archive). Please also add a (brief) step-by-step instruction what
exactly to do.

Thanks!
     Armin
--
ALG

Re: open office vers 4

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.
Xxx

On 03/09/2013, at 6:56 AM, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:

> Unless I don't  understand the process, it seems to me that it is only possible to attach one file to the bug report.  Therefore I did not submit the bug.  I need to submit three files.  I imagine I could also  do it with only two files, but that is still more than one.

I can't verify your statement, but as far as I know you can zip the tree files into one file.
Alternatively you have the option to add one file at a time and ad two comments with the remaining files.

Re: open office vers 4

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-09-02 10:56 PM Dale Erwin wrote:
> Unless I don't  understand the process, it seems to me that it is only possible to attach one
> file to the bug report.  Therefore I did not submit the bug.  I need to submit three files.
> I imagine I could also  do it with only two files, but that is still more than one.

File the bug report, then you can add additional files afterwards.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: open office vers 4

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
On 9/2/2013 11:50 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:
> On 9/2/2013 3:59 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>>     Hi Dale,

>>> I have never made a bug report before.  How do I do it?
>>
>> First, thanks for keeping us informed. You can register for Bugzilla:
>> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/ and then write a task there.
>> If you have or can create a reduced example I can also do that for
>> you, when I can reproduce it here, see below.
>>

>>> I have tried it at least a half dozen times always with the same
>>> results.  If I deselect "PDF/A-1a" it exports without crashing. If I
>>> select "PDF/A-1a" it crashes during export.
>>>
>>> As far as attaching the offending document, it is a master document
>>> with 44 sub documents, a total of 566 pages when fully expanded.
>>> Seems that would be a lot of files to attach.
>>
>> This is of course too much for a task in bugzilla. Often it is
>> possible to reduce examples for tasks to relevant parts, in this case
>> to the part which causes the crash. Do you have a hint which part
>> crashes? Does that pasr alone crash? Maybe you have a simple example
>> for the crash? Maybe someone else has one (many people are reading
>> here). If yes, please, speak up!
>> You may isolate the problematic part retalively quick if it's
>> possible to split your example always in two halfs, thus getting to a
>> small example relatively quickly.
>>

>>> Earlier, someone posted a link to a bug report concerning PDF export
>>> from Print Preview.  I have no idea if this is the same bug or not.
>>>

>> To ensure this or to find out we will need your reduced example, too,
>> no way around ;-)
>
> OK, I copied all the files to a test folder (btw, I was mistaken,
> there are 49 sub files).  If I open the master document without
> expanding the sub files, it will export successfully.  Any one of the
> sub files will export successfully (well, I didn't try every one of
> them, but several).  I deleted all the sub files from the navigator
> except for two which are only 2 pages each, so there are a total of
> only 6 pages, and it crashes just as before.  Is that sufficiently
> abbreviated?

Unless I don't  understand the process, it seems to me that it is only
possible to attach one file to the bug report.  Therefore I did not
submit the bug.  I need to submit three files.  I imagine I could also
do it with only two files, but that is still more than one.

--
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17 PERU