Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io> on 2016/09/02 15:46:10 UTC

M3 is done, what's next?

Hi everyone,

We completed the M3 release in August and now we should consider the scope for the next release:  1.0.0-incubating.  We’ve had previous discussions on this topic [1] but I would like us to reopen the conversation and make sure we are all still in agreement.  In particular, I think we are getting pretty close to being ready for graduation [2] with one exception:  we need to rename our source packages to ‘org.apache.geode’ [3].

I think we should move forward with package renaming *now* and include that in the scope for the 1.0.0-incubating release.

As previously discussed [4] we’d like to preserve protocol compatibility for existing users of client/server and WAN.  This should only affect a handful of classes that would remain in the ‘com.gemstone.gemfire’ namespace (we should identify those soon).

Thoughts?  What else belongs in 1.0.0-incubating?

Anthony

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geode-dev/201604.mbox/%3cCAFh+7k1nMh8muFDs7NuXzj7q3mBy9NrJeC0jMA=hqxE=EAfWxw@mail.gmail.com%3e
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Maturity+Level
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-37
[4] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-geode-dev/201509.mbox/%3cCAEzsiBOUmfdmQA8X29gzUTeB_6jV9tbDLHCZYXhFSbBXmaQQAw@mail.gmail.com%3e

Re: M3 is done, what's next?

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for package renaming

+1 for sooner than later

Re: M3 is done, what's next?

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for making changes sooner rather than later.

Also, thank you Dan for mentioning this effort will need to coordinated
with *Spring Data Geode*.

--
-John
503-504-8657