Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "wujek.srujek" <wu...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/16 16:25:28 UTC

[surefire, TestNG] Specify a suite / xml file on command line

Hi.
Is it possible to specify which particular test suite xml file I want to be
used when I invoke mvn test and the tests are using TestNG as the framework?
I have a few suites, and some of them are only valid on the development
server with hudson, and it connects to its local db and so on. I would like
to skip this test suite.
Regards.

Re: [surefire, TestNG] Specify a suite / xml file on command line

Posted by "wujek.srujek" <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I noticed this question I posted some time ago and as it doesn't have any
answers and I found a way to do it, I thought I would post it for others:

suppose you have TestNG suite files: all.xml, hsql.xml, oracle.xml

and by default (for example in Hudson) you want all.xml suites to be run,
but locally you want to test only against hsql for a quick test. Define a
setting like this in your pom:

<properties>
    <tests>all</tests>
</properties>

and in surefires config include something similar:

<suiteXmlFiles>

<suiteXmlFile>${project.build.testOutputDirectory}/${tests}.xml</suiteXmlFile>
</suiteXmlFiles>

Now, by default all.xml will be run, but it can be overridden on the command
line like this:
mvn -Dtests=hsql test