Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org> on 2011/04/23 13:23:20 UTC

Commiters info: coding conventions

By incident I realized that some commits lately introduced tab
characters for indentation. Generally there is nothing wrong with this,
except that there is a historic agreement that we want to favor space
character over tabs for the Struts codebase - which is a hard to find
information for new committers, I have to admit.

As for code style in general we follow the official Java Code
Conventions [1], which leaves open whether to use tab or space
characters. The main reasons why both the original Struts project as
well as the WebWork project - which was merged into the Struts project
as the base for Struts 2 - agreed on a "no tab character" convention are

- commit messages are generally more readable with spaces
- while the Java Coding Conventions [1] allow for both types of
indentation, they request an indent unit of 4 spaces as well as a tab
width of 8 spaces. To follow both rules, one would have to mix tabs and
spaces for each odd number of indents if the tab character were to be used.

The good thing is that nowadays with IDEs like Eclipse, Netbeans or IDEA
it's just a tick in a preference box to change that style for your
commits. As for IDEA eg. you can create profiles if your daily coding
convention differs from the project's.

As a side note, Jetbrains and other commercial tool providers kindly
support open source with free licenses. With your Apache email address
it is very simple to apply for those licenses - so if you ever wanted to
try one of those products, this is a good chance.

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconvtoc-136057.html

- René

--
René Gielen
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: Commiters info: coding conventions

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Never too late :)
>
> A new page in the Wiki would be IMHO a nice idea, along the lines of your patches-page suggestion. It would be easily maintainable then, and we could link to it from the other suggested pages / sections.
>
> And since sources say your CLA is on file even you could go ahead and start the page :)

No problem, will gladly take care on this

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Commiters info: coding conventions

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Christian,

thanks for your help!

The Struts site is maintained as it's own maven site project in SVN,
thus it is only editable with commit rights. I've added a section
linking to your article in the FAQ#patches section. Should be online soon.

- René

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
René,

http://www.grobmeier.de