Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/07/17 18:03:51 UTC

[Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice

I'd like to see if we can agree on a statement along these lines.  I
think it is important that we show how our project aligns with
Apache's overall mission, which the apache.org home page phrases as:
"provides support for the Apache community of open-source software
projects, which provide software products for the public good."

I think we do and always have been strongly aligned with this goal.
But still, sometimes, we're questioned about our emphasis on
distributing binaries, or seeking support for items related to
distributing binaries.  In some ways we're the oddball at Apache,
being the only prominent end-user facing project.  So I think it will
help if we can express in clear terms how what we are doing is in fact
for the public good, and our aims and achievements are at least as
noble as what any other Apache project can claim.

Please, review and suggest improvements.  In the end I'd like to work
this into a webpage or blog post.

Regards,

-Rob

--------------------------
=Introduction=

Along with an email client and a web browser, an office suite is a
core essential application that almost every computer user requires.
 Although there is a dominant commercial product in this category, its
price and limited platform and language support makes it an
unsatisfactory option for many.   OpenOffice, for over a decade, has
helped fill this gap.  Our goal is to develop, publish and support
OpenOffice as a world-class office suite, free for anyone to use, and
since it is open source, free for anyone to build upon.  Using the
generally available discounted price of commercial office products,
the value of OpenOffice downloads over the past decade exceeds USD 10
billion (10,000,000,000),

==Overcoming the "Digital Divide"==

More than 40% of the world population lives on less than US$ 2 per
day, and around 20% live on less than US$ 1 per day.  Against these
numbers, commercial shrink-wrapped office software is often seen as a
luxury good.  End-user facing open source software, like OpenOffice,
brings high-quality software to those who would otherwise have no
other affordable options.   Within the ICT for Development (ICT4D)
community, OpenOffice has long been an important part of achieving
development goals.

==Support for Linguistic and Cultural Diversity==

There are over 6,000 languages in the world, but unless the language
is associated with a G20 economic superpower, commercial vendors tend
to ignore it.  The OpenOffice community has a long standing tradition
of supporting a large number of languages, including languages used by
smaller populations, minority languages, endangered languages, etc.
For example, South Africa has 11 official languages.  OpenOffice has
been translated to all of them.  By supporting languages that would
not otherwise be supported we help reduce "digital exclusion" and
promote development, local education and administration.

==Accessibility==

Persons with disabilities, especially those with visual impairments,
commonly rely on "assistive technology" to interact with computers.
Such technologies work well only when applications are designed and
coded to work well with them.  Additionally, users who create
documents must do their part to ensure that the documents they create
work well with assistive technology, for example through the use of
image captions, consistent list levels, etc.  OpenOffice provides
strong accessibility support, including broader ecosystem support via
extensions, for working with Braille printers, exporting to DAISY
talking books, etc.

==Open Standards==

Open standards are those standards which are created in an open,
transparent process, where the specifications can be freely accessed
and implemented without royalties.  Most core web standards are open
standards.  The default document format in OpenOffice, OpenDocument
Format (ODF) is also an open standard.   Widespread use of open
standards promotes interoperability and choice in the market.  But
this does not come without effort on our part.  We commit to faithful
implementation of open standards, and to work with standards
organizations and other vendors to improve these standards and to test
and improve interoperability.

Re: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>> In any case, the parent post is about mission and goals, not
>> collecting bug reports.  I assume you have objections to accessibility
>> as a project goal.
>
> Maybe stressing flexibility and extensibility rather than
> accessibility, in terms of AOO being sufficiently flexible and
> extensible that accessibility options can be attached to it?  More
> importantly, flexible and extensible in the way that
> That-which-should-not-be-named isn't?

It is both, really.  There is the core accessibility work that was
done to OpenOffice.  For example, enabling keyboard navigation, the
work to implement the accessibility improvements in ODF 1.1 and ODF
1.2.  That included adding UI for enabling descriptive text on more
kinds of graphics, native table support in Impress, etc.  These
improvements don't rely on any extension.    A good summary is this
old OOoCon presentation:

http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/ooocon2006/presentations/wednesday_o4.pdf

And then, in addition to core accessibility work, there are the
additional accessibility-related output formats enabled by extensions.

So I think we have a good story here.  And it will get only better as
we merge in the additional accessibility work done in Symphony.

-Rob

Re: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Salomon <ro...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/18 toki <to...@gmail.com>

> On 07/17/2012 05:10 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > I assume you have objections to accessibility as a project goal.
>
> My objection is in claiming extensions that don't provide A11Y
> functionality, as enhancing A11Y.
>
> If you are serious about making A11Y a project goal, then no version of
> AOO will be released, unless one can remove:
> * The mouse;
> * The keyboard;
> * The display monitor;
> and create a document using:
> * Write;
> * Calc;
> * Draw;
> * Impress;
> * Base;
>
> Accessibility should be considered a long term project goal. We do have an
Accessibility API available that, quite frankly, I don't have a clue as to
how functional it really is.

I have also seen experiments with OpenOffice and JAWS that enabled
accessibility for some types of disabilities.

Having a universally accessible software compares to shooting for the
stars. We must do it knowing we have to get there a step at a time.

--
Roberto Salomon
http://rfsalomon.blogspot.com.br/

Re: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi Jürgen, *,

> Well I am still getting caught up from a while back and reviewing this
> post. I think the wiki page is very good as it stands and this this
> information should be incorporated on the "project" web page at least, may
> be directly under the What is OpenOffice section, a new section "The Public
> Service Mission", or, if we want to remain flexible, make it into a page
> that we can use to link from other areas -- the main www.openoffice.org. We
> have this old about.html page, http://www.openoffice.org/about/
>
> that is currently linked from the project web site. I think this mission
> information should be included on that.
>
> Yes/no? to any of these suggestions.

I have it here, on this page, but it is not linked to from anything yet:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mission.html

It might work well to publicize this once we graduate.  But no
objections to using it earlier.

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen, *,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/18/12 7:12 PM, Kevin Grignon wrote:
> KG01 - See comments inline.
>
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
>> <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I totally agree and that is of course the most annoying point here at
>>> Apache for me. But that is another topic and not for this thread.

>>> see comments inline

>>> I like this example calculation which makes the value of OpenOffice
>>> really visible. The number is so impressive that really everybody can
>>> understand it.

>>> It shows me again how important it is to work for and with the l10n
>>> community to support all the languages where we had support before. I
>>> will start a campaign right after our 3.4.1 release drive this forward.

>> I've put the draft up on the wiki and made a few tweaks based on
>> comments received so far:
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/%28Draft%29+The+Public+Service+Mission+of+OpenOffice
>>
>> I'd encouraged anyone interested to help improve this statement.
>

>  KG01 - Comment: as a newbie, I've never seen this content. It's very
> compelling. We should seek pops to share this part of our story. Perhaps as
> part of the user experience (when downloading), or the volunteer experince
> (link on help wanted pages). In addition, our communications boilerplate
> could include some of the highlights from this connect. Thanks for sharing.

I can think about a further video where we try to visualize the numbers
with some pictures.

Just some first ideas
- picture of a huge mountain of money or gold bars
- fast switching pictures of people from different countries to
represent all the different languages and countries. Maybe pictures of
community members. Did somebody have seen the EM spot where many people
switching their tricot (pulling over the head and every time a new face
comes up...)
- ...

We should try to work with multi media students/schools and give them
input for some challenging work examples ...

Juergen

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
KG01 - See comments inline.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.