Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by samsher khan <kh...@yahoo.co.in> on 2005/03/18 14:46:20 UTC

Thanks Trond

Thanks  Trond
Actually in office I am using Tomcat 5.0.25 and there
admin, admin was working but at home I downloaded
5.0.30 I tried the same password but it was not
working.
Thanks
It would be great if u can help me with one more
problem.
at office I am using tomcat 5.0.25. In that server my
jsp's are running but when I try to run servlet in IE
the browser tell me download the war file instead of
executing it.

Thanks once again
samsher khan

--- "Trond G. Ziarkowski"

Re: deleteOnExit doesn't seem to be working for session temporary files..

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 10:27 -0800, Joseph Silverman wrote:
> In our setup, we have JSP's that create a "temporary" file with the
> deleteOnExit flag set.
> The session timeout (getMaxInactiveInterval) appears to be the
> "default" of 1800 seconds (30 minutes).
>
> We are blasting our servlet container (tomcat and jetty) with JSP
> fetches (that don't handle cookies - http_load if you are curious as to
> what we are using) and noting that these files stick around till the
> servlet container itself quits (the java process goes away).  At that
> point ALL the files are deleted, and it can take HOURS in some cases to
> do so.
>
> Is this expected behavior?  We think that these files should be deleted
> when the session "expires".  That seems like the right thing to do.

What you are seeing is what I would expect. The javadoc for
File.deleteOnExit very clearly states that the file is deleted *when the
virtual machine terminates*.

A session is *not* a virtual machine.

I suggest you use a SessionListener object instead; this should be
invoked when the session expires, and you can delete the files then.

Regards,

Simon

deleteOnExit doesn't seem to be working for session temporary files..

Posted by Joseph Silverman <yo...@laszlosystems.com>.
In our setup, we have JSP's that create a "temporary" file with the
deleteOnExit flag set.
The session timeout (getMaxInactiveInterval) appears to be the
"default" of 1800 seconds (30 minutes).

We are blasting our servlet container (tomcat and jetty) with JSP
fetches (that don't handle cookies - http_load if you are curious as to
what we are using) and noting that these files stick around till the
servlet container itself quits (the java process goes away).  At that
point ALL the files are deleted, and it can take HOURS in some cases to
do so.

Is this expected behavior?  We think that these files should be deleted
when the session "expires".  That seems like the right thing to do.

Jetty appears to perform similarly except that it actually CRASHES with
outOfMem errors after enough files are opened this way.  Tomcat seems
more stable.

Jetty 4.2.17, Tomcat 5.0.16.

Thanks for all help.

- Joseph

Re: Thanks Trond

Posted by "Trond G. Ziarkowski" <tr...@gep-as.com>.
Hi,

>at office I am using tomcat 5.0.25. In that server my
>jsp's are running but when I try to run servlet in IE
>the browser tell me download the war file instead of
>executing it.

How do you deploy your war file?
I'm guessing that you have not used the manager since you could not login?

The only way I can make sense of this, is if you have copied the war
file into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/ and try to access it from your
browser by entering http://localhost:8080/myapp.war.

If this is the case then you should copy the file into
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps instead and tomcat will automatically expand your
war file into a directory named after your war file, and you should be
able to access your jsp files by entering
http://localhost:8080/myapp/myfile.jsp

If you have deployed your war file correctly I don't know what is
causing this behaviour.

- Trond