Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mi...@lynx.de on 2001/02/05 15:11:34 UTC

which development tool to use?

Hello,

I hope my question is not too off topic for this mailing list:

In the last weeks I struggled around with JDeveloper as an IDE for creating web
applications with Struts, but
it seems that it has some problems with the message resource files for the
action servlet (see my question
earlier in this mailing list).

So I would like to find out which tools you use to develop  your web
applications, especially how they are
debugged.

Did anybody use JBuilder and has good experiences integrating with Struts?

I would like to read your suggestions, thank you.

Regards

Michael

Re: which development tool to use?

Posted by Chris Smith <li...@lombardydrive.com>.
Emacs and Jakarta-Ant.  What bugs? ;-)

On 2/5/01, 2:11:34 PM, michael.brohl@lynx.de wrote regarding which
development tool to use?:

Re: Hacking Servlet Mill

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Julia Reynolds wrote:

> Well, Craig was right and our problems with Struts and Servlet Mill apparently
> stem from
> the fact that it is Servlet 2.1, not Servlet 2.2 compatible.  Can we just replace
> the servlet.jar file in Servlet Mill with the 2.2 servlet.jar?  Is that safe, or
> will it
> break Servlet Mill?

Unfortunately, that approach is unlikely to work.

It's not just an issue of having the right servlet API classes (which are mostly
interfaces).  The servlet container has to support all of the required functionality
-- most importantly, it needs to understand what a web application archive (WAR) file
is, which 2.1 based containers don't.

> Julia

Craig

Hacking Servlet Mill

Posted by Suchi Somasekar <su...@ordinate.com>.
I have been using struts with Forte for Java, Internet Edition for the
past couple of weeks and have not come across any major problems. Simply
following the struts documentation had me up and running pretty quickly.

Suchithra Sekar

Posted by Mike Campbell <ug...@unixgeek.com>.

Posted by James Howe <jw...@allencreek.com>.
We also use VAJ 3.5 with Tomcat and Struts.  It's nice to be able to
develop, run, and debug within the same environment.  Since the generated
JSP code is part of the IDE, it's a simple matter to put breakpoints in the
generated JSP if necessary.

At 11:24 PM 2/5/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>I use VAJ 3.5 with Tomcat and struts.
>
>works perfectly can debug throught the jsp's (not really jsp's but the
>generated servlets)
>Can change code on the fly without restarting anything.
>
>johan

James W. Howe                   mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.              pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Re: which development tool to use?

Posted by Mike Fitterman <mi...@east.sun.com>.
Check out Forte for Java Internet Edition (IE).

Mike.

At 03:11 PM 2/5/2001 +0100, michael.brohl@lynx.de wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I hope my question is not too off topic for this mailing list:
>
>In the last weeks I struggled around with JDeveloper as an IDE for
>creating web
>applications with Struts, but
>it seems that it has some problems with the message resource files for the
>action servlet (see my question
>earlier in this mailing list).
>
>So I would like to find out which tools you use to develop  your web
>applications, especially how they are
>debugged.
>
>Did anybody use JBuilder and has good experiences integrating with Struts?
>
>I would like to read your suggestions, thank you.
>
>Regards
>
>Michael

Mike Fitterman                1 Network Drive UBUR02-207
Solaris Software Group     Burlington, MA 01803-0902
Sun Microsystems, Inc     781-442-0843