Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Susan Liebeskind <su...@gtri.gatech.edu> on 2013/10/12 05:42:17 UTC

CXF 2.7.7 question: Java 7 support and .NET 4.0 interoperability?

Hi,

I am looking for definitive answers about Java 7 support and .NET
interoperability for the CXF 2.7.7 release. Unfortunately, my searches
for answers are not finding anything that *clearly* states these
technologies are supported.  Hoping someone on the CXF universe can give
me some feedback....
--
Current Setup: Metro 2.2

My web services are currently running on a Metro 2.2 stack, and deployed
in Tomcat 6.
I'm currently using OpenJDK7 on a RHEL6 platform
My services use WS-Security.
I receive requests from clients on Metro 1.x , .NET 3.0 and .NET 4.0
platforms.

Future...and I'd like to switch to CXF for these:

Adding new web services that will use WS-Trust and possibly
WS-SecureConversation
Tomcat 7 is coming soon.
.NET 4.5 also coming soon.

----
Thing is, I cannot find definite answers about Java 7 or .NET
interoperability

re: java 7
I've looked at the FAQs and for JDK 1.7, it says "TBD." Is that just out
of date, and Java 7 is supported? Given that Java 6 is EOL, I would
assume so, but I don't want to presume. The samples run fine, but I
haven't tried to port my web services over to CXF. I'd like to hear this
is a supported setup before I take time to do that...

re: .NET
FAQ says nothing. User Guide says nothing. The samples directory
contains a skeletal  directory called ws-security/interopfest. Looking
through the email archives, there used to be something in that
interopfest directory, but a Microsoft resource for interop testing
seems to have gone away a while ago, so the directory was purged.
Have there been any .NET interoperability testing done lately? Maybe I
am just not looking in the right place?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Susan

Re: CXF 2.7.7 question: Java 7 support and .NET 4.0 interoperability?

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Susan,

It looks like Dan just updated the FAQ page on Java 7 support:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CXF/FAQ#

As far as .NET (WCF) interop, there's currently only one open Jira issue
on this, and it's a minor one:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-4046?jql=project%20%3D%20CXF%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20text%20~%20%22wcf%22

There are some known past issues in the WS-ReliableMessaging support,
which have hopefully been fixed but have not yet been tested with .Net
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-371). Aside from that, if you
run into any problems you should ask the list for help and enter a Jira
if it is a real issue.

   - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java SOA and Web Services Consulting <http://www.sosnoski.com/consult.html>